17 replies to this topic

#1 Wee Dublin End

Wee Dublin End

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

I see again that McGills have adverts on their busses that stae ''learn to drive this bus and earn £365 per week''.

I think thats quite good; that's about £1100 net per month by my calculations; if it was a straightforward 40hour working week I'd do that given the chance.

Have you or anyone you know responded to one of these adverts ?

Would McGill's pay to put you through your PSV licence ?

I am giving it serious consideration to call them; just wondering if anyone has any views.

#2 leyTON

leyTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:29 AM

pretty sure you have to pay for your own
We are not home and dry, we could not even be said to be home and vigorously towelling ourselves off!

#3 hayfever

hayfever

The stugots

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:35 AM

Do any of their routes go through mental areas where a quick stoning is a daily habit for buses?

Edited by hayfever, 01 August 2010 - 11:35 AM.

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

#4 Wee Dublin End

Wee Dublin End

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(leyTON @ Aug 1 2010, 11:29 AM)  
pretty sure you have to pay for your own

I think that's probably right; but it may be different for people who have been unemployed for more than 6 months and get funding help through the governments ''New Start'' scheme or whatever its called.

I was wondering if the bus company would maybe have a scheme where you could pay them back for the course through your wages. I am going to write to them and find out.

QUOTE(hayfever @ Aug 1 2010, 11:35 AM)  
Do any of their routes go through mental areas where a quick stoning is a daily habit for buses?

I don't think I've seen any recent reports where a local bus driver has been killed or seriously injured as a result of vandals whilst on duty; in that respect I dont think it's any more dangerous than a lot of other public facing jobs.

I'd be interested to try it and see how how I got on.

#5 chrissiboi

chrissiboi

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE(Wee Dublin End @ Aug 1 2010, 01:06 PM)  
I think that's probably right; but it may be different for people who have been unemployed for more than 6 months and get funding help through the governments ''New Start'' scheme or whatever its called.

I was wondering if the bus company would maybe have a scheme where you could pay them back for the course through your wages. I am going to write to them and find out.
I don't think I've seen any recent reports where a local bus driver has been killed or seriously injured as a result of vandals whilst on duty; in that respect I dont think it's any more dangerous than a lot of other public facing jobs.

They would happily take the money off you WDE, if you have an accident you have to pay the excess, or if you are blamed for damaging the tyres you will have to pay for that.

Not too sure if the hours have changed but they were well in excess of the 40 hr week.

If your serious I would advice you to go to one of the big Glasgow operators First or Arriva who will put you through the test and stay with them for so long then you will get the money back plus better conditions , thats if you don't mind travelling, the shifts, the punters, the stress.

#6 hayfever

hayfever

The stugots

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(Wee Dublin End @ Aug 1 2010, 01:06 PM)  

Well ok then. In that case, I approve.
What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

#7 MORTON1985

MORTON1985

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(Wee Dublin End @ Aug 1 2010, 12:23 PM)  
I see again that McGills have adverts on their busses that stae ''learn to drive this bus and earn £365 per week''.

I think thats quite good; that's about £1100 net per month by my calculations; if it was a straightforward 40hour working week I'd do that given the chance.

Have you or anyone you know responded to one of these adverts ?

Would McGill's pay to put you through your PSV licence ?
I am giving it serious consideration to call them; just wondering if anyone has any views.

You would not get £365 on 40 hours a week, you would need to work about 50 to 60 maybe more hours. 40 hours is there basic usually. Would be better of going to First or Arriva but I heard First have a year long waiting list. Rictchies on Glasgow can arrange finance for training im assuming through a loan and pay them back.

#8 ThornTON

ThornTON

Salty by another other name...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,264 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(MORTON1985 @ Aug 1 2010, 04:42 PM)  
You would not get £365 on 40 hours a week, you would need to work about 50 to 60 maybe more hours. 40 hours is there basic usually. Would be better of going to First or Arriva but I heard First have a year long waiting list. Rictchies on Glasgow can arrange finance for training im assuming through a loan and pay them back.

£6 an hour? Arriva in Glasgow always have adverts on the back of their buses for about £8 an hour.

Morton Scorers 2014/15

Cameron O'Neil 1

#9 Rhubarb Mess

Rhubarb Mess

モデレーターを平手打ち

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,268 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE(ThornTON @ Aug 1 2010, 05:23 PM)  
£6 an hour? Arriva in Glasgow always have adverts on the back of their buses for about £8 an hour.

1 run on the east end of Glasgow night run would show that £80 an hour would not be enough. I think the army train tank drivers this way. rolleyes.gif

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

#10 Wee Dublin End

Wee Dublin End

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(Barbarossa @ Aug 1 2010, 04:51 PM)  
1 run on the east end of Glasgow night run would show that £80 an hour would not be enough. I think the army train tank drivers this way. rolleyes.gif

To be honest I was more thinking of driving from the toon centre to Leven Road or Burns Square; but if it only works out at about £6 per hour then I will leave it for the time being.

I consider myself lucky that in the 20 years I've been working I've managed to do so within the Inverclyde area; travelling to work doesn't appeal to me; but I will if and when I need to.

I work Monday to Friday in my current job but need more money coming in. Does anyone know of any job vacancies for evenings or weekends ?

#11 chrissiboi

chrissiboi

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE(Wee Dublin End @ Aug 1 2010, 06:10 PM)  
To be honest I was more thinking of driving from the toon centre to Leven Road or Burns Square; but if it only works out at about £6 per hour then I will leave it for the time being.

I consider myself lucky that in the 20 years I've been working I've managed to do so within the Inverclyde area; travelling to work doesn't appeal to me; but I will if and when I need to.

I work Monday to Friday in my current job but need more money coming in. Does anyone know of any job vacancies for evenings or weekends ?

Dowsa it is defo more than 6 quid an hour as it was more than that in my time. I think they are on about £7.50 or there abouts depending if your doing the Glasgow runs.

If you don't mind working weekends or long hours its an option.

The thing with it is no matter what they are always looking for drivers so if you have your PCV you can get work .

Just don't ask me to go back.

#12 Scotsguy40

Scotsguy40

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

One of my mates works on the trains doing the tickets. Showed me his P60 and he earned £28k last year walking up and down a train taking fares.
His basic is £19.5k and they get commission on the money they bring in plus tons of overtime and Sundays. He gets plenty of time off with the roster with long weekends and his family get free rail travel.

They are looking for folk in Glasgow and Dalmuir but once your in you can move to a depot closer to hand.

https://firstgroup.h...s.php?reqid=994

#13 capitanus

capitanus

SCOTLAND IS BRITISH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:31 AM

Here's an interesting thread about Inverclyde's favourite bus operator:

http://www.busandcoa.......46&start=40

photo-3353.gif

MOD2 has tried to censor my signature. On the 'Edit Signature' section of this messageboard it clearly states:

Your signature may contain:

• • Any number images
  • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

Therefore, in line with bulletpoint two which states my signature can contain images of any size; normal service has once again been resumed:

no.jpg

#14 Wee Dublin End

Wee Dublin End

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,050 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE(Scotsguy40 @ Aug 1 2010, 08:59 PM)  
One of my mates works on the trains doing the tickets. Showed me his P60 and he earned £28k last year walking up and down a train taking fares.
His basic is £19.5k and they get commission on the money they bring in plus tons of overtime and Sundays. He gets plenty of time off with the roster with long weekends and his family get free rail travel.

They are looking for folk in Glasgow and Dalmuir but once your in you can move to a depot closer to hand.

That would be a great job scotsguy40, thanks for the link. It's a job I've thought of applying for before but never did. The closing date on this specific job is today and I've just seen you rpost this morning.

When I get back home today I will apply if the application is still open on the link.

I will also keep an eye out for more of these positions in the future but I fear it's the type of job which would be applied for by lots of people and they might want someone who is 18-30.

I think I would be good at it.

#15 Scotsguy40

Scotsguy40

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE(Wee Dublin End @ Aug 2 2010, 07:26 AM)  
I will also keep an eye out for more of these positions in the future but I fear it's the type of job which would be applied for by lots of people and they might want someone who is 18-30.

I think I would be good at it.

According to this pal of mine they prefer the age group 30+. With shift work etc and a more level head when dealing with awkward situations they tend to go for a more 'maturer' candidate.

Gourock has it's own depot as does Pishely Gilmour St. Even the station jobs are cushy, keep an eye out for Station Grade B and upwards he suggests as they get a basic of around £21k.

#16 LargsTON

LargsTON

If It's Wet, Drink It!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,186 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE(Barbarossa @ Aug 1 2010, 05:51 PM)  

Are the First drivers not surounded by reinforced glass? Wouldn't get me driving that route unless I was! ph34r.gif

QUOTE(Scotsguy40 @ Aug 1 2010, 09:59 PM)  

I reckon that job could be even dodgier than driving late night buses/taxis. I've seen first hand the abuse these folk have to take, especially late trains on the weekends. You're wide open to verbal and physical attacks, moreso than driving, imo.

#17 chrissiboi

chrissiboi

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,110 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(LargsTON @ Aug 4 2010, 08:21 AM)  
Are the First drivers not surounded by reinforced glass? Wouldn't get me driving that route unless I was! ph34r.gif
I reckon that job could be even dodgier than driving late night buses/taxis. I've seen first hand the abuse these folk have to take, especially late trains on the weekends. You're wide open to verbal and physical attacks, moreso than driving, imo.

I know a few guys who drove buses and now work as ticket inspectors and their opinion is they get better money for less hassle and stress on the trains.

#18 LargsTON

LargsTON

If It's Wet, Drink It!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,186 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(chrissiboi @ Aug 4 2010, 05:32 PM)  
I know a few guys who drove buses and now work as ticket inspectors and their opinion is they get better money for less hassle and stress on the trains.

Suppose they'll know better than me! blush.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users