16 replies to this topic

#1 Alibi

Alibi

Sir Alastair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,216 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:32 PM

I installed the freecorder toolbar (in both IE and Firefox) on my computer at work and after reinstalling it a couple of times it worked fine, and when recording the wee graphic equaliser window thing showed the signal it was recording. However on both my computers at home, one using XP and the other Vista, although the toolbar installs, when I record, the graphic equaliser window flatlines and nothing is actually recorded. I assume the problem is that the freecorder module is not getting any output from the inbuilt soundcard or something like that. How do I fix that and get it to recognise the sound signal? I've tried the different options for input but the default was the one that worked at work.

Alternatively is there another programme, possibly standalone rather than a toolbar within a browser, that can record streaming audio (from Spotify in this case)?

PS I have also tried playing a WMA file with Media player to see if that gets recognised but still flatlines. I suspect that Freecorder needs to have an audio signal from an internet source and possibly collects it upstream of the computer's sound producing circuitry but technically I don't really know how it all fits together. Don't want to start messing with interrupts etc cos I think computers don't work the way they did when I was proficient back in the 70s to 90s.

Edited to add: seem to have got it working - no real idea how but I think maybe need to open the wee Freecorder window before opening the streaming source.

Edited by Alibi, 10 January 2009 - 06:38 PM.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

#2 silent_g

silent_g

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:33 PM

I downloaded Freecorder a few months back and had the same problem. I normally use Audacity to record from the internet and found that it wasn't getting a signal either. I think I ended up downloading an update for my sound card which fixed the problem straight away. The problem appeared to be caused by downloading freecorder though.
I'd highly recommend Audacity along with a wav to mp3 converter. Great piece of software and also allows you to cut and edit your audio.

#3 xj2006

xj2006

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

my only problem with stuff like this is the quality of the recording

picks up a lot of background pc noise

maybe it has improved a lot in the past few years since I last used it

#4 Rhubarb Mess

Rhubarb Mess

モデレーターを平手打ち

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,268 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

Never had a problem recording anything on it at all.
I start Freecorder first over the website I am accessing and then press play. The quality I have been getting is as good as any other mp3 I have and I don't need to convert it, using Real player (not sure about WM) it automatically saves as an mp3 in the one folder. (only pian in the erse is having to name each song individually).

Edited by Barbarossa, 11 January 2009 - 07:39 AM.

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

#5 DongaTon

DongaTon

10 PRINT "JOBBIES" ______20 GOTO 10

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,593 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE(xj2006 @ Jan 10 2009, 09:30 PM) View Post
my only problem with stuff like this is the quality of the recording

picks up a lot of background pc noise

maybe it has improved a lot in the past few years since I last used it

That's why I don't think I'll go down this road. Music should be cherished and bought, not stolen in a poor recording, in my humble opinion.
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture - Laurie Anderson

Yer Dong

Allan Moore, yer wife's a very nice woman,
we're gonna win the league for sure.

#6 Rhubarb Mess

Rhubarb Mess

モデレーターを平手打ち

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,268 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(DongaTon @ Jan 11 2009, 07:42 AM) View Post
That's why I don't think I'll go down this road. Music should be cherished and bought, not stolen in a poor recording, in my humble opinion.

wub.gif
cool.gif
ph34r.gif

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

#7 DongaTon

DongaTon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,593 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

I'm not going to go into it mate, but it's something I feel strongly about. smile.gif

I've never got into the downloading thing, only for rare stuff.

I'm impressed with SPotify but I dunno if I'd record it. It would be substandard surely?

If everyone does that then it will simply get shut down, surely, spoiling it for everyone else who wants to use it legitimately?

I collect music. Downloads have made music expendable and throw away.

Yer Dong

#8 xj2006

xj2006

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,297 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE(DongaTon @ Jan 11 2009, 07:51 AM) View Post
I'm not going to go into it mate, but it's something I feel strongly about. smile.gif

I'm impressed with SPotify but I dunno if I'd record it. It would be substandard surely?

If everyone does that then it will simply get shut down, surely, spoiling it for everyone else who wants to use it legitimately?

I agree with this, although there are some advantages too (like rare stuff, and stuff I would just never buy but don't mind dancing to at a party).

before downloads I would often just borrow and copy my mates albums, and vice versa

stuff that I really loved I would end up buying anyway (like Grace - heard it on a tape a pal gave me and went out and bought the cd)

#9 pedro.mcghee

pedro.mcghee

meh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

When we did Inverclyde F.M Ofcom told us that we had to prove we had original copy’s of all the songs on our record collection or if not had the permeation form the artist to play it (local Stuff) ok for CD’s ect but we have a database of over 12,000 teaks I only recorded stuff from the internet for sound clips and the like ( news sport ect)

I installed freecorder but been having real problems with my Internet explore since just shutting down on me for no resign what so ever the sound is ok but not the best.
If you are editing audio use audacity it is up there with Cool Edit it’s easy to use and has a good sound we have cool edit for hospital radio/ Inverclyde media but if guys are working on stuff at home we use audacity and I can’t notice the difference

I am dyslexic and I am getting tired of your shirt

#10 Alibi

Alibi

Sir Alastair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,216 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

That Audacity programme is pretty good - can you use it to record streaming audio too?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

#11 dirty dingus

dirty dingus

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

seem to be getting loads o background noise from my pc may try audacity then, anyone know of any others like limewire(ease of use, no adverts)as I am writing a paper on dodgy internet music sites and am looking for other sites strictly for research purposes for the paper like.
Remember The Alamo --- MORTON 5 THE MIDDEN BUT 1

#12 silent_g

silent_g

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE(Alibi @ Jan 12 2009, 01:00 PM) View Post
That Audacity programme is pretty good - can you use it to record streaming audio too?

Yes. If you go to the drop-down menu in the top right and select "stereo mix". To the left of that you'll see the levels for input and output. I have both set to 0.8 which usually gets a decent level. The stereo mix setting will record any sound made on the computer and on the internet.

When saving, go to file and "Export as Wav" rather than "Save Project As" as this will only allow you to open it within Audacity. You may want to use an mp3 converter too to reduce filesizes.

#13 Alibi

Alibi

Sir Alastair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,216 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(silent_g @ Jan 12 2009, 06:46 PM) View Post
Yes. If you go to the drop-down menu in the top right and select "stereo mix". To the left of that you'll see the levels for input and output. I have both set to 0.8 which usually gets a decent level. The stereo mix setting will record any sound made on the computer and on the internet.

When saving, go to file and "Export as Wav" rather than "Save Project As" as this will only allow you to open it within Audacity. You may want to use an mp3 converter too to reduce filesizes.

I don't have any options in that pull down menu - in fact there's nothing to pull down as it's just blank. I think on my work computer I have options such as mic and line in, but blank on my home laptop. I have managed to get it to record but the signal/noise ratio is very poor. I can make it louder but the quality is terrible with loads of background noise.

#14 Rhubarb Mess

Rhubarb Mess

モデレーターを平手打ち

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,268 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(DongaTon @ Jan 11 2009, 07:51 AM) View Post

To be perfectly honest, I don't record very much, not because I want to remain within the law, I just don't want my hard drive being cluttered by a music collection but if I do record anything its as good a standard as any other music I have. (and generally if I do download a song its one which I have already have on old vinyl, there isn't much music from this genre I really like).

But your admission to only downloading rare stuff is surely a tad hypocritical, is it ok to download 'rare' stuff which generally costs much more to buy? (if you paid for it ignore me) rolleyes.gif

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

#15 silent_g

silent_g

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(Alibi @ Jan 12 2009, 07:41 PM) View Post
I don't have any options in that pull down menu - in fact there's nothing to pull down as it's just blank. I think on my work computer I have options such as mic and line in, but blank on my home laptop. I have managed to get it to record but the signal/noise ratio is very poor. I can make it louder but the quality is terrible with loads of background noise.

I think when I had the problem after downloading freecorder, the stereo option disappeared. Mic and Line in just produced noise. I looked for any available updates for my soundcard and the stereo option came back straight away.

Just a thought but if you managed to get a recording of some sort, this may have been a built in mic simply recording what was coming out of the speakers, hence the poor quality? I didn't realise my laptop even had a mic until I had this problem. As far as I know, only the stereo (or mono, which I don't have) option will record from the internet.

#16 Alibi

Alibi

Sir Alastair

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,216 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

No, input is the same with volume right down and doesn't pick up my muttered swearing when it is flatlining. Drivers of all sound devices are up to date.

#17 DongaTon

DongaTon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,593 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(Barbarossa @ Jan 12 2009, 07:50 PM) View Post
To be perfectly honest, I don't record very much, not because I want to remain within the law, I just don't want my hard drive being cluttered by a music collection but if I do record anything its as good a standard as any other music I have. (and generally if I do download a song its one which I have already have on old vinyl, there isn't much music from this genre I really like).

But your admission to only downloading rare stuff is surely a tad hypocritical, is it ok to download 'rare' stuff which generally costs much more to buy? (if you paid for it ignore me) rolleyes.gif

Heh, no mate I didn't pay for it at all.

But by its very nature, the stuff is impossible to find and buy anyway! I'm thinking rare b sides etc.

I'm not pulling anyone up for doing this, apart from maybe piracy causing Spotify to get pulled up.

But it's just not for me. I suppose I'm old fashioned smile.gif

Yer Dong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users