56 replies to this topic

#1 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15638 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Dunno if it's just me but I get the impression the bulk of our fans care more about St Mirren being relegated than Morton being promoted. It's great to point and laugh don't get me wrong but it's time we focused more on what we can achieve this season. There's a very real possibility of finishing 2nd dependant on what ambition is shown by the board in the coming 3 weeks. Guess we'll see now how serious Rae is or if sustainability is going to consign us to the Championship and a 1500 core support for eternity.
"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

#2 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11801 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:36 PM

Dunno if it's just me but I get the impression the bulk of our fans care more about St Mirren being relegated than Morton being promoted. 

Nah, I don't see it that way at all. I think it's just because their relegation is highly probable, whereas if we're being realistic promotion through the play-off is still a bit of a long shot.  

#3 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8450 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

There's 5 months of the season left. Promotions aren't settled in January, especially when we are 3rd in the league so it's no surprise that St Mirrens demise is the main attraction right now.

If it's March or April and we are still in with a chance then you'll see a change in attitudes.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

#4 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

To secure 4th never mind 3rd or 2nd, we need the board to back JD; there's only so much the team spirit can do and there's only so long that'll carry us.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#5 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15638 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

To secure 4th never mind 3rd or 2nd, we need the board to back JD; there's only so much the team spirit can do and there's only so long that'll carry us.

Tbh I think we'd make the play offs with the squad as it is but a couple of strong additions up front and we'd have a real chance of winning them imo.

#6 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

We've managed to grind out results over the past few weeks but there's only so long that can happen before we start losing games. Jim Duffy absolutely deserves backing this transfer window after the way our season has gone so far. 4th might even be a challenge if we don't get a good striker in soon. Despite Raith's poor form, Dunfermline seem to have found their feet and are slowly creeping up the table. I think it might end up being ourselves, Dunfermline and Falkirk battling for 3rd and 4th. 

I think most people are enjoying St Mirren's demise due to them lording it over us for years and it's about time we had major bragging rights.

#7 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:55 PM

Duffy said in his recent interview that he's only looking to add a striker.

More than happy with the depth in every other department

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#8 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

Duffy said in his recent interview that he's only looking to add a striker.

More than happy with the depth in every other department

Might even have decent enough funds to get a good one in now that Gunning, McNeil and McAleer are all off the wage bill.

#9 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

Might even have decent enough funds to get a good one in now that Gunning, McNeil and McAleer are all off the wage bill.

I really hope so. We're long overdue a decent jaunary signing.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#10 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5797 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

St.Mirren don't seem to be the same club/team from years ago which I loved to hate so much. They must rue the day that they left Love Street for that stupid wee shoe box stadium, and it must genuinely be heartbreaking for St.Mirren diehards seeing that site left undeveloped. I know that it has left a void in the lives of many Morton supporters, losing our favourite away ground.
Posted Image

#11 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2391 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

As it stands, we're looking good for the playoffs but by no means certain. So I think most fans are cautious about getting too excited about that yet. With our deficiencies up front, that's more than understandable at the moment. If we sign a quality striker or two then the confidence might increase.

Actual promotion is still further away and a huge challenge so even more understandable that people aren't getting to preoccupied with that at this stage.

St Mirren on the other hand have had a billy big baws mentality for so long, are floundering in glorious fashion and relegation gets more and more likely with every passing week and additional display of their complete mediocrity.

#12 TaunTon

TaunTon

Luckless pedestrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7241 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

I don't think that's the case LT but as said above the odds are heavily stacked against clubs 2, 3 and 4 getting through the playoffs. I'm also doubtful that we'll push the boat out in the transfer market even although the team/manager deserve it.

The skunks demise is good fun though given their ludicrous superiority complex. Their tearstained failure this season has been a glorious bonus and worthy of savouring.

#13 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2703 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

In all likelihood we're not going to get promoted. It would take a minor miracle to do so, that's why no one is really talking about it. Giving a good account of ourselves and making sure we're able to challenge for the playoffs and even 2nd next year should be the aim - that's why nobody is really talking about it, let alone in January.

We are however joining in with just about every other group of supporters in the country at laughing at St Mirren and the mess they're in. A club that still think they're an awful lot bigger than they actually are.

#14 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

Until the likes of Hibs and Dundee United get out of the Championship I'll never be too optimistic about promotion. Play-offs should definitely be the aim but with those two teams in our league the chances of promotion are unlikely. Maybe even next season if Hibs & United both go up and Hamilton/Killie etc come down we'd have a much better chance.

#15 TRVMP

TRVMP

Gavin Gunning for the Supreme Court

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19679 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

In all likelihood we're not going to get promoted.

Did you miss the part where we've already beaten Killie, Hamilton and DU this season? One or two good additions and we're in with an absolutely superb chance.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#16 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15638 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

St.Mirren don't seem to be the same club/team from years ago which I loved to hate so much. They must rue the day that they left Love Street for that stupid wee shoe box stadium, and it must genuinely be heartbreaking for St.Mirren diehards seeing that site left undeveloped. I know that it has left a void in the lives of many Morton supporters, losing our favourite away ground.

I think that's part of the reason our support in Paisley is so poor now. The shoebox is a dreadful footballing environment.

#17 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:33 PM

If we don't get promoted -like we didn't the year we challenged Thistle - we simply can't allow ourselves to slump to the depths we did in the seasons that followed. Only really this season have we got back on track from the fall from grace that followed the promotion push that season.

That'd be the last straw if that happens under the Rae's tenure

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#18 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15638 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

Did you miss the part where we've already beaten Killie, Hamilton and DU this season? One or two good additions and we're in with an absolutely superb chance.

Sadly as many Morton fans have an inferiority complex as St Mirren fans have a superiority one.

#19 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2703 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

I did not, however, we'd have to get through likely Falkirk, then Dundee United, then one of them with no slip ups. The odds are stacked against us. The ideal scenario is that we somehow beat Dundee United to 2nd place late on in the season. They go into their game against Falkirk or whoever low on confidence and end up losing it. We then only have to get past a more tired Falkirk, and a gubbins Premiership team. Which on the face of it doesn't look AS challenging. That's pipe dream stuff though.

#20 AyrshireTon

AyrshireTon

The Buzzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7721 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

Us going up take priority for me.

Regarding St. Mirren - whatever happens, happens. Their current plight is hilarious, though, and the thought of us potentially both leaving the Championship in opposite directions must not be a very comfortable one for them.

“McGhee needs some support, there’s no-one backing him up.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here’s Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control…”

“That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton’s supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.”

#21 Madton

Madton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

Get a quality striker in and top 4 is very achievable, especially if Jai returns for the run in.

After that, you just never know. I'd certainly think the championship winner( of the playoffs) will have a chance playing Hamilton or Killie.
All in with a Doyle Brunson

#22 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2703 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

Sadly as many Morton fans have an inferiority complex as St Mirren fans have a superiority one.

What? I'm just being realistic here. I'd love us to go up and have no doubt we'd give whatever team(s) we faced in the playoffs a game, but there's a reason no one that finished 3rd/4th has went up yet.

#23 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15638 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

What? I'm just being realistic here. I'd love us to go up and have no doubt we'd give whatever team(s) we faced in the playoffs a game, but there's a reason no one that finished 3rd/4th has went up yet.

It's ripping out ye! Get off your knees.

#24 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15638 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

PS didn't Hamilton finish 4th?

#25 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4480 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:47 PM

PS didn't Hamilton finish 4th?

It's very understandable why any Morton fan would want to erase the reason why we know that they finished second.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users