198 replies to this topic

#126 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8487 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:19 AM

Nothing against Doyle as the choice, but Mcdonagh is arguably a better option than him at right back in this team we have if he wasn't aiming to decapitate the opposition every single match.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

#127 Deano1874

Deano1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3248 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:20 AM

Nothing against Doyle as the choice, but Mcdonagh is arguably a better option than him at right back in this team we have if he wasn't aiming to decapitate the opposition every single match.

...therefore making the Doyle the better choice.

Away in a manger, 

No crib for a bed, 

The little Lord Jesus stood up and he said, 

Brian Wake m'Lord, Brian Wake.

#128 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8487 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:27 AM

...therefore making the Doyle the better choice.

He's tried to decapitate Lee Robinson and a St Mirren player so he's a good lad in my book.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

#129 Hej

Hej

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

How has David O'Brien not been mentioned yet? Despicable.

Gaston

Reid O'Ware Gunning Russell

Imrie Tidser Millar Bachirou O'Brien

Quitongo

Subs:

McNeil, Kilday, Lindsay, MacDonald, Jenkins, Oliver, McManus

edit: McAlister out Gary Oliver in

Edited by Hej, 07 January 2017 - 12:34 AM.

#130 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16638 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:36 AM

Since one of the mostly hotly debated issues here is the right backs, the full list of players who've played there as far as I can see (may have missed some administration era duds, not bothering to include guys like Bannerman who only got shunted there as cover a couple of times as opposed to a run of games out of position):

David Murie

Stuart MacDonald

Martyn Naylor

Derek Collins

Sean Curran

Stephen Frail

David MacGregor

Alan Reid

Peter Weatherson

Craig Black

Jay Shields

Ryan McGuffie

David Van Zanten

Grant Evans

Andy Graham

Kevin McCann

Scott Taggart

Thomas O'Ware

Craig Reid

Jamie McCormack

Ben Sampayo

Lee Kilday

Michael Miller

Conor Pepper

Michael Doyle

Jamie McDonagh

Some excellent candidates for a team of s***e there. Jay ****ing Shields. Doyle is the best out of that lot IMO. Collins spent most of his second spell playing as a sweeper in a back three, Murie and McGuffie were good but not as good, Van Zanten was only here for nine games, Taggart fell away massively towards the end, Craig Reid and Kilday are far better at centre back, Weatherson was of course excellent from right back winning the league in 06/07, but he was absolutely roasted week in week out at this level.

The **** XI should have a back three in order to accommodate McCluskey, McManus & Shimmin, move Fitzpatrick into midfield.

No stand-outs at all, and I do rate Doyle but I'm not having him as our best right back of the last 17 years. 

We'll go for a back 3, shall we?

Ben Sampayo, what could've been...

#131 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16340 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:39 AM

No stand-outs at all, and I do rate Doyle but I'm not having him as our best right back of the last 17 years.

We'll go for a back 3, shall we?

^^^ John McCormack found

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#132 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4518 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:03 AM

^^^ John McCormack found

Or Davie Irons?

#133 Alibi

Alibi

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11884 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:28 AM

You might want to get in the sea, dickhead. Have a red dot.

I doubt you ever saw Madsen play. Both he and Billy Gray were immense. Everybody is raving about Gunning, but we used to have better centrebacks than him on a regular basis. To be fair, that is true of every position. Younger fans have low standards to compare against. We could do with a Bobby Collins nowadays.
"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

#134 Ed de Ball

Ed de Ball

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:04 AM

I doubt you ever saw Madsen play. Both he and Billy Gray were immense. Everybody is raving about Gunning, but we used to have better centrebacks than him on a regular basis. To be fair, that is true of every position. Younger fans have low standards to compare against. We could do with a Bobby Collins nowadays.

So true. though I remember seeing Bobby Collins punch Jackie McInally in the stomach in the penalty area during a League Cup second leg tie at Fir Park. Think we had already chucked away a 3 goal first leg advantage by then. Collins was about 5ft and 40 and McInally was near 6 ft. He howled like a banshee but no penalty given.
Things happen then come the consequences.

#135 Ray Von

Ray Von

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

So true. though I remember seeing Bobby Collins punch Jackie McInally in the stomach in the penalty area during a League Cup second leg tie at Fir Park. Think we had already chucked away a 3 goal first leg advantage by then. Collins was about 5ft and 40 and McInally was near 6 ft. He howled like a banshee but no penalty given.

So the players were all so much better, but we were throwing away 3 goal leads and losing our discipline?

#136 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3638 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Cracking thread btw

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#137 TaunTon

TaunTon

Luckless pedestrian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7356 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:28 AM

The only stand out players I can think of over the last 15 years were Shimmin and McGowan.

#138 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11852 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

My old fella, who'd be 99 today if he were still alive, used to say exactly the same in the 60s and 70s about players from the 30s and 40s. Everybody sees the past through rose tinted specs.

#139 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16340 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Unfortunately for the blue rinse brigade, footage of at least one of their done to death 'golden ages' in the late 70s/early 80s is widely available on YouTube. A general viewing finds the defending from both sides to be comically incompetent, the standard of play to be more direct but no better than the modern fayre. Morton's chief advantage seems to have been the fact that Cappielow so often resembled a ploughed field, preventing either team from playing decent football.

Hardly the most convincing basis for "footballers were all much better in the good old days" then.

Edited by vikingTON, 07 January 2017 - 12:11 PM.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#140 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2486 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 12:06 PM

People earlier in the thread who have been unsure about putting too many of the current crop of players into the century team - but over that period, it's not a surprise that the team from 2012/13 who achieved our highest placing in years should be well represented and therefore so should this current crop who could replicate that finish (or fall just short but in a far more difficult league).

Based on how few of our players over the period have actually moved on to bigger and better things, it's no surprise that it's been tough to fill some positions.

Slightly surprising there's not many loan players in contention for slots. Loans often coming from a higher level, players we couldn't otherwise normally afford so should be 'a step above' what we have. Jim in particular has been getting a lot of praise for his use of the loan market. Maybe we need to up our game further in that area.

#141 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4222 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:11 PM

Unfortunately for the blue rinse brigade, footage of at least one of their done to death 'golden ages' in the late 70s/early 80s is widely available on YouTube. A general viewing finds the defending from both sides to be comically incompetent, the standard of play to be more direct but no better than the modern fayre. Morton's chief advantage seems to have been the fact that Cappielow so often resembled a ploughed field, preventing either team from playing decent football.

Hardly the most convincing basis for "footballers were all much better in the good old days" then.

Like for like there's no question that today's players are much better because of diet awareness, training facilities/techniques, etc as well as things like sports science coming into play.

The only real debate is if the players from then would be better than today's crop if they had all of that available but it's a questions that's almost impossible to answer.

#142 Rin Tin Ton

Rin Tin Ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

How has David O'Brien not been mentioned yet? Despicable.

They had a picture of Obri in the programme today. A match 5 years ago.

That team of young Tam, Tidser, Fred, Peaso/Archie, Obri was a nearly a great team. Unfortunately we didn't get Martin Hardie til the next season and Spoonsy was just sliding over the hill.

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

#143 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

On a similar note, Warren Hawke's team of his era at the club is being featured on the BBC Sport Scotland Facebook.

So far he's got a defence of Wylie, Collins, Cormack, Anderson and Fenwick.

https://www.facebook...EWSFEED&fref=nf

#144 TRVMP

TRVMP

Gavin Gunning for the Supreme Court

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19889 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:27 PM

Christ, the nick of that photo of Andy Murray at the top of the page. Could they possibly have found a worse one?

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#145 IainMorton

IainMorton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8940 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:11 PM

Christ, the nick of that photo of Andy Murray at the top of the page. Could they possibly have found a worse one?

B5vnCOAIUAA5e0Z.jpg

#146 jimbobton

jimbobton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

They had a picture of Obri in the programme today. A match 5 years ago.
That team of young Tam, Tidser, Fred, Peaso/Archie, Obri was a nearly a great team. Unfortunately we didn't get Martin Hardie til the next season and Spoonsy was just sliding over the hill.

No sign of Ryan McDuffie?! :)
And who suggested Jenkins?

#147 jimbobton

jimbobton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:15 PM

No way Doyle should be anywhere near the starting line-up. McDonagh and Pepper are far better candidates for RB.

Really?
Doyle is excellent

#148 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16240 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:32 PM

B5vnCOAIUAA5e0Z.jpg

That picture cracks me up. And people say Sir Andy has no sense of humour. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

kenmasters.jpg

#149 TigerTon

TigerTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

Late to the party on this thread, these sort of things are often the topic of conversation among our group at Morton games. I'll go with:

Gaston

McGuffie Rutkiewicz O'Ware Russell

McAlister Millar Tidser Forbes

Wake Peaso

Heartbroken to have to omit Jenkins :( 

#150 TRVMP

TRVMP

Gavin Gunning for the Supreme Court

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19889 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:35 PM

Rutkiewicz is a shout, and I'm glad to see someone else including Forbes.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users