198 replies to this topic

#51 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5939 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

Nobody has mentioned Jim McAllister, arguably the best youngster we've produced over the past two decades.
Posted Image

#52 TRVMP

TRVMP

Gavin Gunning for the Supreme Court

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19890 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

In any case the topic heading clearly does clarify what is meant by century.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#53 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16340 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Nobody has mentioned Jim McAllister, arguably the best youngster we've produced over the past two decades.

Mark Russell is twice the player of that gormless sand-dancer. Next.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#54 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15807 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

I never rated him and was delighted when he left. Fair play to him though, he's played at a higher level than I ever thought he could.
"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

#55 Denniston

Denniston

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

Gaston

Reid Rutkiewitcz O'Ware Russell

Imrie Millar Bachirou Tidser McAllister

MacDonald

Subs:

McGurn

Kilday

Jenkins

Hardie

Barr

Weatherson

Sir Gav would have walked it if he'd stayed till the end of the season.

#56 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5939 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

Mark Russell is twice the player of that gormless sand-dancer. Next.

Steve Aitken was also a good midfielder for us around the turn of the millennium; and Scott Paterson was an excellent gunning-esque signing for us around that time.
Posted Image

#57 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7702 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:29 PM

I'm drawing a line at 20 appearances, which unfortunately rules out Sir Gavin, but I think it's reasonable to expect a player to have spent at least half a season with us before being considered. For example, you can hardly include Robert Earnshaw on the basis of four games, even though he's by far the most successful player we've had this century when considering their careers as a whole.

Gaston

Doyle - McCaffrey - Fenwick - Russell

Millar - Tidser - Lindsay - Jenkins - Forbes

MacDonald

Obviously Forbes and Millar were at their best in the centre rather than out wide, but they all had to be squeezed into that midfield.

Jamie Lindsay is better than Bachirou and Hardie put together. Deal with it. 

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#58 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4518 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

The thing about putting Doyle at right back is that many of us would have had Taggart as a stick-on for right back after the same period of time. It can be easier for the players who haven't been around for so long or who didn't hang for very long.

I mean, even Archie Campbell had a spell of 10 games when he looked unplayable.

If we're looking at other players with short spells with us, Scott Paterson was a real standout for us.

Craig MacPherson would be good competition for left back. John Anderson and Paul Fenwick also sneak in this century, but at a difficult time.

#59 Denniston

Denniston

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:31 PM

I'm drawing a line at 20 appearances, which unfortunately rules out Sir Gavin, but I think it's reasonable to expect a player to have spent at least half a season with us before being considered. For example, you can hardly include Robert Earnshaw on the basis of four games, even though he's by far the most successful player we've had this century when considering their careers as a whole.

Gaston

MacDonald

Obviously Forbes and Millar were at their best in the centre rather than out wide, but they all had to be squeezed into that midfield.

I agree but I haven't included loanees.  Otherwise that brings into play Lindsay, Johnstone and Gasparatto.

#60 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19890 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Good point, forgot about him. I'll put him on the bench. But Russell is a better player.

Dunning, surely Fenwick didn't play 20 games from 2000 onwards?

Do you like Abba?

#61 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13694 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

Good point, forgot about him. I'll put him on the bench. But Russell is a better player.

Surely you're going to put all this to some kind of vote? Is there still a poll facility on here?

"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"

#62 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16340 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

You could shunt Weatherson in at right-back, for his 18 goals in that position in League One plus the 35 yarder at EEP. In his actual position he wouldn't make the bench.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#63 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

Gaston

MacDonald

Paul Hartley may contest that.

#64 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:41 PM

Only 4 appearances in 2000.

I'll reply with my team later.

#65 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Not currently, but Barrie McKay looks like he'll have a good career as well.

#66 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19890 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

Surely you're going to put all this to some kind of vote? Is there still a poll facility on here?

I hadn't thought that far ahead yet. Maybe I'll use this thread to get a short list together then set up a vote or something.

Do you like Abba?

#67 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16340 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:44 PM

I'm drawing a line at 20 appearances, which unfortunately rules out Sir Gavin, but I think it's reasonable to expect a player to have spent at least half a season with us before being considered.

Sir Gavin Gunning sneers at your utterly ridiculous criteria and takes the ball off the pitch with him.

#68 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16340 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:45 PM

Go to Grimsby. Proceed with Ed de Ball into the sea.

#69 Denniston

Denniston

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

He's gonna get capped that boy.

#70 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16340 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

If 2016 has taught us anything (Brexit; Trump; red tartan shortbread tin football tops) it is that democracy doesn't work.

#71 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16642 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:48 PM

Go to Grimsby. Proceed with Ed de Ball into the sea.

Do you disagree?

#72 TopCat

TopCat

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

Gaston

MacDonald

Agree with that as a best XI but with Sir Gavin in at CB (O'Ware if you're sticking with the appearance rule). Not all of them my favourite players for each position - I loved Templeman, McLaren and Bannerman for entertainment value.

Also interested to know if Millar is well regarded all round now. He was never universally popular when he was here and got a fair bit of stick from the crowd at times if I remember rightly.

Edited by TopCat, 06 January 2017 - 06:51 PM.

#73 Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5567 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Gaston
Mcguffie Rutkewitz Shimmin Russell
Hardie Jenkins
Forbes tidser Oliver
McDonald

Subs - Cuthbert,Doyle, Gunning, Lindsay, O'brien, Imrie, Lyle
There's a storm on the horizon
And for that I can't see the sun
For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement
For the ice cream van to come

#74 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19890 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

He's gonna get capped that boy.

Already is, came on as a late sub against France.

Do you like Abba?

#75 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5939 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:54 PM

And David 'ahm injured but can play in the masters' McPherson may contest that. :)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users