Photo

Morton V Dumbarton

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
200 replies to this topic

#26 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7858 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

Scott Tiffoney in place of Russell on the wing. Russell has been ropey over the past three matches and Tiffoney has just returned from some 1st team action albeit Clyde. That may allow Russell to re-focus for the 2nd half of the season and some competition in that position.

Russell has been ropey because he's being played out of position - give him a run of games at left back again and he'll return to form. Putting him in midfield negates all of his attacking strengths, particularly when he has a natural centre back who won't overlap behind him. He shouldn't be concerned with competition for a place in midfield because he shouldn't be playing there in the first place.

In any case, Tiffoney's first team action totals less than an hour in the last month: his last start for Clyde was on December 3rd.

Edited by dunning1874, 06 January 2017 - 02:39 PM.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#27 HamCam

HamCam

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2889 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:48 PM

Scott Tiffoney in place of Russell on the wing. Russell has been ropey over the past three matches and Tiffoney has just returned from some 1st team action albeit Clyde. That may allow Russell to re-focus for the 2nd half of the season and some competition in that position.

Prescription medication or was it the mushrooms?

#28 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16705 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

Dont think the Duff knows what a 451 is......

We've been playing a 4-4-1-1 nearly all season: it's hardly a radical step from that. He won't play 4-5-1 tomorrow though, because he'll view the game as one we should be targeting a win (correct), so will play two forwards to 'be more attacking' (incorrect).

The 'best' that we can hope for is Scullion playing in behind the discarded shopping trolley up front.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#29 rex manning

rex manning

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

...........Gaston

Doyle...Tam...Lamie...Russell

Forbes..Lindsay..Murdoch..Tids

.......Scull..Nesbitt

Obviously this won't remotely resemble the actual team, but it's what I would play.

Lindsay dropping a bit deeper, a narrow midfield, both fullback's bombing forward and young Scullion creating numerous chances for all; especially balls in behind for Nesbitt.
I want a pretentious signature too.

#30 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16705 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:16 PM

Nesbitt is not a striker; if you're going to play a midfield with zero width then it might as well line up in a diamond formation.

Actually forgot that we have Bonucci as a replacement for Sir Gavin: That frees up O'Ware to play up front instead of the gubbins ringer, with Lamie and Bonucci as centre-backs and Scullion playing off O'Ware.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#31 gmfc23

gmfc23

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Id like to see us go with

Gaston

Doyle kilday O'Ware russell

Forbes lindsay murdoch nesbitt

Tidser

Oliver

If olivers out then it will most likely be kudus but i feel that team should be strong enough to get a win.

Morton 2 forbes,tidser
Dumbarton 1 docherty

#32 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16395 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

If ****ing Docherty scores against us I'll be lighting my season book on fire and posting the embers to Cappielow one crispy shred at a time.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

#33 TRVMP

TRVMP

Pie Rolls for Pyros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20331 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

Without Jai the paucity of forward options is really something. I still don't think Scullion should have got an extension if he's not going to be used.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#34 Denniston

Denniston

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

It's definitely time to give Scullion a chance. I still don't think he'll do it and will play Nesbitt in a 'No 10' role.

I think (and I could be wrong) Nesbitt moved into that position towards the end of the QOS game.

#35 M4RKO

M4RKO

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:08 PM

Duffy seems to see Nesbitt as an option through the middle, and a luxury on the left (see Kudus against Aberdeen). Can't see him pinning down a place as a regular fixture on the left and Oliver works behind a central striker. Inside right of a 4-3-3 would probably work too.
Keeps the opposition guessing too I suppose.

#36 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16705 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

Nesbitt is his 'offensive' option at left midfield, in the same way that McDonagh sometimes starts at right-back. Both started at Dunfermline for that reason and I'd expect Nesbitt to feature in the same role tomorrow.

#37 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16748 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

Oliver named as a doubt for tomorrow although not ruled out entirely. Probably see him get 90 minutes with a Kane mask on.

#38 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16061 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

Surely if it's a broken nose he can just play as normal unless his breathing is affected?
"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

#39 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Surely if it's a broken nose he can just play as normal unless his breathing is affected?

Depends how hard he was hit and whether concussion is a consideration.

#40 axeman

axeman

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2134 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:43 PM

Duffy said in the Tele that it was a kind of whiplash injury, in that it left Oliver with a stiff neck as well as a sore mouth & nose. They were going to make the decision on his fitness today as he'd been unable to train earlier in the week.
I'd love to have you both for dinner

#41 Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5680 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

Duffy said in the Tele that it was a kind of whiplash injury, in that it left Oliver with a stiff neck as well as a sore mouth & nose. They were going to make the decision on his fitness today as he'd been unable to train earlier in the week.

He's a ****ing machine. he'll play.
There's a storm on the horizon
And for that I can't see the sun
For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement
For the ice cream van to come

#42 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:36 AM

Decent interview with Jamie Lindsay here https://t.co/yurIOl4hAC. Few interesting points in that it was Big Denny that convinced him to come here and talked the club up, and that were was interesting from Premiership teams and teams down south recently but him and Brendan Rodgers agreed staying here was best for him

#43 Cowshed Chris

Cowshed Chris

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3282 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

It's an infinitely less mental suggestion than putting Oyenuga on the pitch.

No, not really.
TRUST THE DUFF

#44 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

If Kudus scores, we're on the pitch.

#45 mcintyre_gmfc

mcintyre_gmfc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1602 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

Decent interview with Jamie Lindsay here https://t.co/yurIOl4hAC. Few interesting points in that it was Big Denny that convinced him to come here and talked the club up, and that were was interesting from Premiership teams and teams down south recently but him and Brendan Rodgers agreed staying here was best for him

He seems a level headed guy, who doesn't take anything for granted. The chances are slim but I'd love to see him signing up at Cappielow for the next few seasons, he's definitely a player we could make money on and is without doubt one of the best midfielders I've saw at Morton.

#46 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

He seems a level headed guy, who doesn't take anything for granted. The chances are slim but I'd love to see him signing up at Cappielow for the next few seasons, he's definitely a player we could make money on and is without doubt one of the best midfielders I've saw at Morton.

Yeah exactly. Unless we got promoted though, I couldn't see it happening.

#47 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

From @Morton_FC -

Morton team today:
1. Gaston
2. Kilday
4. O'Ware
6. Doyle
8. Forbes
9. Oyenuga
10. Lindsay
11. Nesbitt
12. Tidser
17. Russell
21. Murdoch

#48 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16748 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Morton subs:
7. Oliver
14. Scullion
22. Orr
37. Tiffoney
39. Strapp
30. McGowan

Bench not looking too strong.

#49 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

Lamie injured? Glad we!re using Russell & Nesbitt regardless.

#50 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2715 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

Tidser playing behind Kudus? Surely he's not out on the wing with Nesbitt behind Kudus.