34 replies to this topic

#1 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21125 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

With Scotland and the USA already failing to qualify, another giant was laid low tonight: Italy eliminated by Sweden.

There are still three teams to qualify, of:

Denmark - Ireland (0-0 after first leg in Copenhagen)
Honduras - Australia (0-0 after first leg in San Pedro Sula)
New Zealand - Peru (0-0 after first leg in Wellington)

We'll know by the 15th the final line-up.

Every South American team looks weak (albeit Brazil are improved on the humilation of 2014). Germany strolled qualification, as did Spain, Belgium, and to a lesser extent England and Poland. It's difficult this far out to say who's going to win but I'd be utterly stunned if it wasn't a European team, and at this stage Germany, despite their weak group, have shown such form to be considered favorites once again.

On the betting markets Brazil are hilariously short-priced, considering what a meal they made of topping the CONMEBOL table, with Germany and France joint-favorites with most bookies.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#2 HamCam

HamCam

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

Italy were very poor over the two legs against Sweden - never deserved it. Frustrates me though that Sweden managed to do what Scotland failed to do. Been to Russia before anyway.

#3 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21125 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:12 PM

Like all TRVMP supporters I love Russia and I wish them a great tournament.

Italy were indeed awful, it was hoofball from them at times and they lack quality up front. They had all possession but very rarely looked dangerous, which are two very un-Italian ways of playing.

Do you like Abba?

#4 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6606 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:42 AM

Like all TRVMP supporters I love Russia and I wish them a great tournament.

Italy were indeed awful, it was hoofball from them at times and they lack quality up front. They had all possession but very rarely looked dangerous, which are two very un-Italian ways of playing.

Well, I personally dislike Russia and wish for more meteors to land on the place. However,they have got some interesting ideas on how to solve problems: https://youtu.be/sLhdaju2jIk

Germany will walk the next corrupt World Cup, and I expect the locals to be very hospitable hosts to Both them and England.
Posted Image

#5 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21125 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Of course they will. Russia is most powerful, stronk country.

Do you like Abba?

#6 marbellaton

marbellaton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1210 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:59 PM

Placed bet on Germany to win months ago. Looking forward to the England v Russia rematches on the streets. Sad to say but I predict there will be a murder.

#7 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

Ed de Bigot will be a happy man tonight :).

Show Grasses The Red Dot.

#8 Alan_Partridge_Ton

Alan_Partridge_Ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:19 PM

Where is Ed these days?

#9 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

Where is Ed these days?

After his racist outburst against Sir Gavin, I'd imagine he's serving another enforced sabbatical.

Now, what was it that the groomed one had to say when I had my own spell on the Naughty Step?

giphy.gif

#10 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6606 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:57 PM

Placed bet on Germany to win months ago. Looking forward to the England v Russia rematches on the streets. Sad to say but I predict there will be a murder.

Will Cappiecat be going then?
Posted Image

#11 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6606 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:03 PM

Of course they will. Russia is most powerful, stronk country.

That statement reminds me of this:

https://youtu.be/MR18Pzbf-nY

:lol: :lol:

Edited by capitanus, 14 November 2017 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image

#12 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6606 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

I've just found out the score too. I'm chuffed to bits :D :thumbup2:
Posted Image

#13 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21125 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:08 PM

The fact that they went a goal up makes it all the sweeter. The only thing that could have improved it would be a controversial red card or a last-minute winner or something. Piquant.

Do you like Abba?

#14 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21125 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

Also re: cappiecat's impending reign of terror over the streets of Kazan - I do wonder how it's going to go. Many parts of Russia are pretty much lawless but you'd have to think that they'd have the cities locked down for this, a bit like South Africa. I was in Durban and Port Elizabeth for the 2010 World Cup, was leaving the stadium and waiting for cabs at night etc. and didn't see a sniff of trouble anywhere, but I heard afterwards that policing levels were far, far above the norm. Russia can suppress violence very effectively when it wants to, so the question will be whether or not they want to, or whether or not they're OK with a bit of football rioting.

Do you like Abba?

#15 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

Can't say I'm terribly upset myself  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: .

#16 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6606 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:27 PM

No Wales. No Northern Ireland. No Republic of Ireland.

It just means not so many s*** jokes about Scotland not being there this time around.

It is also delightful to see those dirty cheating Italians not making it this time around. I will never forgive them for this: https://youtu.be/rQVpYvP4toc
Posted Image

#17 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21125 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

It just means not so many s*** jokes about Scotland not being there this time around.

It is also delightful to see those dirty cheating Italians not making it this time around. I will never forgive them for this: https://youtu.be/rQVpYvP4toc

Knew what that was going to be even before I clicked it. It's canny play, very intelligent, absolutely - but if it happens against your team it's infuriating. I hate Luca Toni and his stupid, two-sizes-too-broad-for-his-face mouth.

Do you like Abba?

#18 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:43 PM

Aye, if you were to ask me my preferred winners from the European play offs, I've got a full house.

Not that what would've fizzled out into a draw that night 10 years ago would've made much of a difference to our qualifying prospects anyway. The Italians only needed a draw or win at home to the Faroes after that to confirm our exit if we hadn't won.

Would love to see Australia knocked out after FIFA allowed them to leave the Oceania Confederation for Asia in order to make qualification easier. If anything smacks of blatant corruption from a governing body in sport it's that, but it seems to have been seen as a positive in most circles.

#19 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6606 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:46 PM

Knew what that was going to be even before I clicked it. It's canny play, very intelligent, absolutely - but if it happens against your team it's infuriating. I hate Luca Toni and his stupid, two-sizes-too-broad-for-his-face mouth.

I just fail to see how any possible interpretation of that challenge can be given AGAINST Hutton.

I remember being stunned at that decision. At the final whistle we found ourselves in this bar at the Top deck of the south stand, watching the unedited highlights coming through on the TV and being just gobsmacked. Myself and Toby were even at a table with Jimmy Bone watching it and neither of us even said anything about him being ex-St.Mirren boss, we were just so shocked at that decision.
Posted Image

#20 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4430 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:46 AM

Absolutely delighted. 

Tremendous to see that w**k McLean in tears and snotters after the game

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#21 Deano1874

Deano1874

BRING HIM HOME

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3478 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:57 PM

Also re: cappiecat's impending reign of terror over the streets of Kazan - I do wonder how it's going to go. Many parts of Russia are pretty much lawless but you'd have to think that they'd have the cities locked down for this, a bit like South Africa. I was in Durban and Port Elizabeth for the 2010 World Cup, was leaving the stadium and waiting for cabs at night etc. and didn't see a sniff of trouble anywhere, but I heard afterwards that policing levels were far, far above the norm. Russia can suppress violence very effectively when it wants to, so the question will be whether or not they want to, or whether or not they're OK with a bit of football rioting.

There's always a sizeable police presence in Moscow anyway, with metal detectors and sniffer dogs being common in all major venues and buildings. The Police presence at the stadiums is incredible. I think any violence that happens in the city, involving Russian hooligans, will be somewhat pre-arranged. Wonderful :) 

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

#22 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16439 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:12 AM

There's always a sizeable police presence in Moscow anyway, with metal detectors and sniffer dogs being common in all major venues and buildings. The Police presence at the stadiums is incredible. I think any violence that happens in the city, involving Russian hooligans, will be somewhat pre-arranged. Wonderful :)

I doubt they'll find much opposition other than the likes of the Poles. The English won't be daft enough to have a pop back at them.
"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

#23 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21125 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:40 AM

I sincerely hope not, not on their own turf. I'd rather take a beating from some Russian hooligans than the Russian police, because the hooligans eventually have to let you go.

At the end of the day the World Cup should only be held in first world countries but it looks like that ship has sailed so we'll make the best of it.

Anyway, Peru just went 2-0 up against New Zealand so it looks like they'll be the final entrants, their first time since 1982. Peru is a bit like Scotland in that they're absolutely football mad but also a bit crap. 1978 notwithstanding I'd like to see them do well in Russia.

Do you like Abba?

#24 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:46 AM

I sincerely hope not, not on their own turf. I'd rather take a beating from some Russian hooligans than the Russian police, because the hooligans eventually have to let you go.

At the end of the day the World Cup should only be held in first world countries but it looks like that ship has sailed so we'll make the best of it.

Anyway, Peru just went 2-0 up against New Zealand so it looks like they'll be the final entrants, their first time since 1982. Peru is a bit like Scotland in that they're absolutely football mad but also a bit crap. 1978 notwithstanding I'd like to see them do well in Russia.

Aye, I've been sitting watching a stream of it. Was quite impressed with New Zealand early in the second half and held out hopes that they might sneak back into it but that goalkeeper wants shooting for giving away the corner that eventually led to the second goal.

On another note, the atmosphere looks tremendous and the stadium an absolute bear pit. Outstanding.

#25 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21125 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:53 AM

Aye, I've been sitting watching a stream of it. Was quite impressed with New Zealand early in the second half and held out hopes that they might sneak back into it but that goalkeeper wants shooting for giving away the corner that eventually led to the second goal.

On another note, the atmosphere looks tremendous and the stadium an absolute bear pit. Outstanding.

Yes, NZ have not been bad at all, but it's been a story of set-pieces. Peru have taken theirs and NZ, particularly Wood, have not, not to mention as you say that ridiculous corner concession. (Shades of whoever-it-was at Livingston in that massively windy game a few years ago.) Bit of a shame because Marinovic has been quite good.

Lima is on my list of places to visit for football. Their national stadium is great but there's no league football played there (at least with Hampden, if you're a tourist, you can go and watch QP, but for Peru it's the national team or nothing.) The two major clubs in Peru have their own stadiums. One of them, the Monumental, is absolutely ridiculous. It's owned by Universitario, the giants of Peru, and has a capacity of around 80,000. It's a horrific concrete mess and has never come close to being full, either for football or concerts. Google Street View shows you how cheap and nasty it is, despite being constructed very recently. (Haven't checked but I'd be surprised if Universitario have a bigger average than 10,000 this season, probably a lot lower, based on the games I've watched.) Alianza Lima have a much smaller stadium that's basically a massive Cappielow and has a great atmosphere when it's busy, which isn't often. Alianza also used to have a goalkeeper named George Forsyth, a Peruvian noble of German, Venezuelan, and Scottish descent, who last I checked was a member of the Peruvian parliament. Plenty of other teams in the metropolitan area, including Sporting Cristal, named for a brewery. (My next trip is Monterrey, Mexico this coming February, once the fixtures are announced. Peru will be after that, hopefully in time for a World Cup warm-up.)

Do you like Abba?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users