196 replies to this topic

#176 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:18 AM

There's a few players in our current side that might be worth an inclusion, but I would hold off until the end of the season. I wouldn't yet have the like of Lindsay or Doyle in there, and there are others like Oliver that could come into the reckoning as well. O'Ware and Forbes would only make the bench in my team at the moment, but could force their way in soon enough if their current form continues.

I'd make a different team for the likes of Gunning, Hartley, Earnshaw, Van Zanten, Fenwick, and Paterson. Excellent players who started a limited amount of matches for us.

#177 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15928 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

We got the benefit of a full season of excellence with Hardie whereas the jury is still out on Lindsay, by this thread's lofty standards.

He's a squad player as it stands.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#178 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4136 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

There's a few players in our current side that might be worth an inclusion, but I would hold off until the end of the season. I wouldn't yet have the like of Lindsay or Doyle in there, and there are others like Oliver that could come into the reckoning as well. O'Ware and Forbes would only make the bench in my team at the moment, but could force their way in soon enough if their current form continues.

I'd make a different team for the likes of Gunning, Hartley, Earnshaw, Van Zanten, Fenwick, and Paterson. Excellent players who started a limited amount of matches for us.

Van Zanten wouldn't even come close to a best team even if he had been with us for longer.

#179 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Van Zanten was pretty average. The fans only liked him because we have been absolutely starved of proper fullbacks for most of the past two decades and he somewhat resembled one.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

#180 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:51 AM

Van Zanten was pretty average. The fans only liked him because we have been absolutely starved of proper fullbacks for most of the past two decades and he somewhat resembled one.

Still the best right back we've had this century.

#181 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16045 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

If we're basing this solely on their time at Morton, Jamie Lindsay ahead of Martin Hardie every time. Hardie's the better player based on his career as a whole, but he was long past his prime by the time he played for us despite still being excellent.

If we were not solely using their Morton careers we'd have a front two of O'Connor and Earnshaw. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

kenmasters.jpg

#182 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

Still the best right back we've had this century.

Doyle and Mcdonagh are both much better than him.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

#183 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:06 AM

Doyle and Mcdonagh are both much better than him.

Van Zanten was an established SPL player, and it showed in his time with us.

#184 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

His season before joining us was one season before being released at Hibs where he was an utter failure to the point that they replaced him with their centrebacks because his form was so poor, and his only two seasons in the Premier League the seasons before with St Mirren saw them finish 2nd and almost relegated, and 3rd bottom with a goal difference of -28 only saved from a relegation battle thanks to the Gretna disaster. He made 6 appearances for Hamilton after leaving us and was again released.

To be fair to him he did play a lot when he returned to St Mirren after that, although he was a bang average SPL right back even then.

He's one of the better right backs we've had, but that's damning with faint praise. Doyle especially could play 30+ games a season for a relegation threatened Premier League team and not look out of place.

#185 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16437 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:23 AM

Yep, there was a reason we only managed to keep him for a couple of months.

#186 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

His season before joining us was one season before being released at Hibs where he was an utter failure to the point that they replaced him with their centrebacks because his form was so poor, and his only two seasons in the Premier League the seasons before with St Mirren saw them finish 2nd and almost relegated, and 3rd bottom with a goal difference of -28 only saved from a relegation battle thanks to the Gretna disaster. He made 6 appearances for Hamilton after leaving us and was again released.

To be fair to him he did play a lot when he returned to St Mirren after that, although he was a bang average SPL right back even then.

He's one of the better right backs we've had, but that's damning with faint praise. Doyle especially could play 30+ games a season for a relegation threatened Premier League team and not look out of place.

So he did well enough in the SPL to earn a move to a bigger club, failed at the bigger club, but after a short spell out of the top flight went back to being an established SPL player.

#187 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

So he did well enough in the SPL to earn a move to a bigger club, failed at the bigger club, but after a short spell out of the top flight went back to being an established SPL player.

I guess, in the sense that David Robertson was an established SPL player.

#188 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:59 AM

He was a decent enough football player at Dundee United.

#189 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15928 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:01 PM

Playing for "an established SPL team" is a meaningless claim when the gubbins team in question was Saint Mirren. By that hilariously low benchmark, Gareth ****ing Wardlaw was also above our standard of player. He wasn't though, and neither was van Zanten. Another in the pile of earnest, plodding right-backs, who doesn't earn a place on the bench for Irons' Iniestas.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#190 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7632 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:20 PM

The difference between Robertson and Van Zanten being that Van Zanten left a top flight team to come to us and got a move back to the top flight, where he remained for another four seasons, whereas Robertson left a top flight team to come to us, then signed for Livingston, then moved down a level to Ayr United, then moved down again to Selkirk. Van Zanten went back to the SPL and lasted a longer time there than it took Robertson to end up in the Lowland League.

I agree with the assessment of Van Zanten as nothing more than competent though. While I appreciate SpoonTon's logic that it's early days and he could undergo a Scott Taggart like conversion and suddenly become utter s***e, I'd still go with Doyle as the standout candidate at right back.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#191 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4390 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Playing for "an established SPL team" is a meaningless claim when the gubbins team in question was Saint Mirren. By that hilariously low benchmark, Gareth ****ing Wardlaw was also above our standard of player. He wasn't though, and neither was van Zanten. Another in the pile of earnest, plodding right-backs, who doesn't earn a place on the bench for Irons' Iniestas.

The point wasn't about playing for an established SPL team, it was about being an established SPL player. He must have played about a couple of hundred games at that level, and his quality was evident in his time with us. I'm not saying he was a top player at that level, he wasn't, but he was good enough to look like a very good player at our level. Which hasn't been the case with every player from that level - but he looked like a good player, unlike others who have played at that level but fail to give any indication why they were at that level.

#192 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2206 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

He was. However, he was effectively finished at the upper level when he came to us. Losing a year of his career with the broken leg, seems he never fully recovered hence his slide down the divisions in rapid fashion. If he was a horse he'd have got the bolt gun.

#193 Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5382 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:20 PM

How many games did he play? I've always had it in my head that he only played for us a handful if times. He was excellent the first couple of games then was average. Probably looked better because we hadn't had a decent right back in a while.
There's a storm on the horizon
And for that I can't see the sun
For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement
For the ice cream van to come

#194 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:29 PM

Only memory I have of Van Zanten is him scoring a belter away to Airdrie. Think we won 5-2 and if memory is correct the game almost got abandoned due to the rain near the end.

#195 IainMorton

IainMorton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8835 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:01 PM

Only memory I have of Van Zanten is him scoring a belter away to Airdrie. Think we won 5-2 and if memory is correct the game almost got abandoned due to the rain near the end.

Think we were 2-0 down after about ten minutes, before Sir Brian of Wake scored two quick fire goals before half time, and we ran away it in the second half.

#196 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16437 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

#197 AyrshireTon

AyrshireTon

The Buzzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7606 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

"s***e, Weatherson" :lol: 

Saturday 29/9/79 - Scottish League Premier Division

Morton Dundee United

52 – Willie Pettigrew (0-1)

53 – Andy Ritchie (1-1)