4427 replies to this topic

#2951 TRVMP

TRVMP

Gavin Gunning for the Supreme Court

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19714 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

usual hysterical nonsense. We've lost one game all season.
To read the outpouring of grief you'd think we'd lost players. The same 11 that played Hamilton off the park are still on the books, we'll be fine this season.

And if two of that XI gets injured, then what?

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#2952 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

To read the outpouring of grief you'd think we'd lost players. The same 11 that played Hamilton off the park are still on the books, we'll be fine this season.

Also the same XI that couldn't beat St Mirren, Falkirk or Dumbarton, and were trounced by Hibs.

#2953 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4483 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

I'm optimistic about some aspects of our team, but quality in squad depth really seems to be an issue. What happens if two of O'Ware, Lamie, and Kilday are injured or suspended? What happens if Tidser is injured? What happens if Quitongo or Oliver are injured? What happens if any of the above lose a bit of form for a while?

I'm not going mad with rage about it or anything like that, but I'm worried about what the answers would be to such questions.

#2954 M4RKO

M4RKO

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

And if two of that XI gets injured, then what?

If it's a week or two we'll get by, and if it's longer we'll probably get someone in.
I know you don't need a lesson on how football at this level works, but that is how football at this level works! We're not going to carry two players for every position, it's just not practical, you replace as you go based on the need.

I understood the 'emergency' loan rules had changed in-to/intra England only. Does anyone know the actual rule on loan players that we're obligated to?

#2955 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19714 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:10 PM

If it's a week or two we'll get by, and if it's longer we'll probably get someone in.
I know you don't need a lesson on how football at this level works, but that is how football at this level works! We're not going to carry two players for every position, it's just not practical, you replace as you go based on the need.

I understood the 'emergency' loan rules had changed in-to/intra England only. Does anyone know the actual rule on loan players that we're obligated to?

Nobody said anything about two players for any position. Just look at our bench options. Duffy clearly has no confidence in McAleer and Scullion, barely any in McDonut. With Pepper out we're already threadbare for quality. As ST asked, if ToW or Tidser is out suddenly we're in deep trouble because it's not that we don't have an equivalent player waiting in the wings, it's that we either have nobody at all or somebody the manager doesn't rate.

I suppose the one bright point is that the youth players who have come in have generally looked decent or even excellent, so there could be another surprise waiting (Strapp impressed me when I saw him but that was against lower opposition.)

The blithe "we'll probably get someone in" is just delusion. By the manager's own admission around 15 targets got away from him in the summer. What makes you think we'll be in a position to find a suitable candidate at no notice to replace someone who's out long-term?

I'm not saying we're going down, I think we're mid-table and have a good nucleus (including some good youth prospects) to build off, and I also think a 4-0 loss at Hibs isn't really panic stations stuff, but you're missing the really obvious point that the squad has gone backwards and is completely threadbare.

Edited by nach0king, 01 September 2016 - 02:16 PM.

Do you like Abba?

#2956 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3555 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:13 PM

Hamilton are absolute horse s***. We'd also be relying on every player being fit for the full season and playing at an 8-9/10 every week. 

I can't see any faults in your logic here.... :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#2957 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4483 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

I don't know if you're deliberately missing the point here or what, and if you disagree then that's fair enough, but the point is even squads at this level need depth, competition, and cover - there are real worries about our squad in that regard. Specific concerns include letting Tennent go out on loan when we only have 5 other first team defenders, not replacing Luca, the quality of signings like McAleer, Kudos, and McDonagh, and lacking a goalscorer among the forwards. Not adequately replacing as we go is precisely the concern here. We lost several players at the end of last season - have we really done a good enough job replacing them?

#2958 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:27 PM

So you are happy with the squad then? You think the squad is an improvement on last season?

That is hysterical nonsense.

#2959 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:53 PM

The signings in comparison to the guys we lost are of a poor, cheap, standard.

The Irish lad and junior player will be gone by January. You can write the script.

The lad that played for Dundee Utd likely to follow Donovan Simmonds to Dover or the likes.

Not good enough. Our attendance at home games could be doing with a boost and for all the good work we are doing off the park, on the park has been rotten.

#2960 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8459 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

Saying we will be fine over the course of a 36 game league because we have 11 players who played decent in a one off cup game is naive in the extreme.

Injuries have already been noted but that doesn't even factor in tiredness or form or motivation from having competition for places or a young squad's confidence if it goes on a 4 game losing run.

This is a team that has shown potential but has as a team some of the poorest game management ability I have ever seen from a morton team based on games so far this season.

They need help. It would be gutting to be losing most weeks this season and have this group of youngsters confidence and development collapse and see them drift down the leagues in their careers.
Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

#2961 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16205 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:30 PM

Our oldest outfield player is Forbes, who will turn 27 next month. The two goalkeepers are comfortably the oldest in the team, and are both only 29, which in their position is nothing. We're comfortably running with the youngest squad in the division and with one of the smallest squads as well.

You'd be forgiven for thinking that Duffy has an issue with having older, established professionals in his changing room. The only player to fit that criteria in his time as manager was Peter MacDonald - who clearly wasn't signed on Duffy's initiative. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#2962 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:48 PM

"DRFC boss Darren Ferguson confirms they placed two bids for Morton forward Jai Quitongo then walked away due to valuation" - BBC Radio Sheffield.

Edited by TheGoon, 01 September 2016 - 05:48 PM.

#2963 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:51 PM

Ferguson is also angry that Morton disclosed Doncaster's interest in Quitongo - despite it already being all over the media.

#2964 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19714 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:56 PM

Ferguson's a wife-beater.

Do you like Abba?

#2965 AyrshireTon

AyrshireTon

The Buzzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7727 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:03 PM

Pleased to hear that we continue to irritate the s*** out of the Fergie family.

“McGhee needs some support, there’s no-one backing him up.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here’s Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control…”

“That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton’s supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.”

#2966 Hej

Hej

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:13 PM

Good to see he's another beetroot-faced seether like his old da.

#2967 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2360 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:07 PM

Looks pretty likely El Alagui is going to sign for Dunfermline going by Allan Johnstons comments. Glad Duffy is still "waiting and seeing" :(

#2968 macca937

macca937

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 11:20 PM

Don't need any signings sure Oliver is happy to stay and in quitongo we have a striker worth more than 100 k.Really is depressing being a ton fan. Oh and the kit man is now an international lol

#2969 Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

If Dunfermline sign alagui they'll have him, Reilly, Clark and higginbotham. Very decent attacking options at this level
There's a storm on the horizon
And for that I can't see the sun
For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement
For the ice cream van to come

#2970 TopCat

TopCat

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:55 AM

All of this is exacerbated by Duffys rigid 442 tactics - a formation where greater pressure is placed on individuals to perform well and good positional sense is required. We don't have a 5th midfielder covering for mistakes and you can't expect a team full of inexperienced youngsters not to make them.

#2971 Maximusprimes

Maximusprimes

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:41 AM

Tam O'ware is going to end the season up front again I think. Hoping Kudus proves something but even at that you cant rely on one guy if no one else is going to help him out well enough. Shocking transfer dealings this season, the loans have worked well before but how Duffy can say we cant attract X player or Y player then you see what Dunfermline have up top.. It really is depressing.

I think we should try get Botti Biabi in from Swansea (Development loan allowed outwith transfer marker? If not then emergency loan)  another young player granted but think he'd suit our style perfectly. Its going to be that or some nobody journeyman from abroad... if we ever do actually sign someone

#2972 EanieMeany

EanieMeany

(DJ Set)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4457 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:55 AM

Alex Williams could still do a job. Sign him.

This ugly, vulgar, hard, hermetic, hardly eye-catching, hardly football style...if they win with this they got satisfaction, fine, but they ended up losing.

AWMSC

#2973 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16199 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

We're stuck with what we have until January I think. We can get behind the young squad as best we can but you have to wonder where our budget has disappeared to compared to our closest competitors from last season.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

kenmasters.jpg

#2974 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13556 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

We're stuck with what we have until January I think. We can get behind the young squad as best we can but you have to wonder where our budget has disappeared to compared to our closest competitors from last season.

"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"

#2975 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

We are shooting ourselves in the foot. There is an incentive for finishing higher up in the league -

Bigger gates

More merchandise sold

Potential of games on BT/ALba

Prize money

We have no damn ambition at times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users