89 replies to this topic

#1 GodEmperorGunning

GodEmperorGunning

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:00 AM

I am not one to talk down on the club outside of dire standards of play and the turnstile incident of 2017. But this is something that really needs addressed in some way/shape or form. Every other team in our league (including Brechin. Yes, Brechin has some decent camerawork and at least quality that could pass as standard for team with about 10 supporters) has some *decent* quality YouTube videos regarding their team news, interviews and match footage. Then when I open the atrocity that is THIS I see videos interviewing Duffy and several players in which you cannot hear the interview for the noise of passing cars on the dual-carriageway. It's one thing to not have some broadcast level cameras shooting in 1080p but the videos of our match footage look like they come from a 2010 HTC phone and looks like the person recording has stage 3 Parkinson's. I imagine all the other clubs have some £200-400 mid range camera and at least have a £10 lapel mic for the interviews. A tripod, decent digital camera, cheap microphone and editing software would make our club's social media look like less of a joke. I am not saying we are on the level of QoS's Twitter, which still uses ` as an apostrophe as opposed to ', but god are we getting there. I realise that whoever they have employed to do this job probably has little to no experience and nor do I, but I know that investing some time and effort and even a minor amount of money would make this look far less like a catastrophic mess. Either scrap the highlights or start actually doing them properly. Don't sacrifice quality for the sake of doing it and furthermore, don't sacrifice the audio to get the video out at a reasonable time. Today's Falkirk highlights show the second consecutive video with no sound whatsoever. I did notice a slight increase in quality, but nothing to write home about. This is just getting more and more embarrassing by the upload.

#2 Madton

Madton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2236 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:26 AM

I am not one to talk down on the club outside of dire standards of play and the turnstile incident of 2017. But this is something that really needs addressed in some way/shape or form. Every other team in our league (including Brechin. Yes, Brechin has some decent camerawork and at least quality that could pass as standard for team with about 10 supporters) has some *decent* quality YouTube videos regarding their team news, interviews and match footage. Then when I open the atrocity that is THIS I see videos interviewing Duffy and several players in which you cannot hear the interview for the noise of passing cars on the dual-carriageway. It's one thing to not have some broadcast level cameras shooting in 1080p but the videos of our match footage look like they come from a 2010 HTC phone and looks like the person recording has stage 3 Parkinson's. I imagine all the other clubs have some £200-400 mid range camera and at least have a £10 lapel mic for the interviews. A tripod, decent digital camera, cheap microphone and editing software would make our club's social media look like less of a joke. I am not saying we are on the level of QoS's Twitter, which still uses ` as an apostrophe as opposed to ', but god are we getting there. I realise that whoever they have employed to do this job probably has little to no experience and nor do I, but I know that investing some time and effort and even a minor amount of money would make this look far less like a catastrophic mess. Either scrap the highlights or start actually doing them properly. Don't sacrifice quality for the sake of doing it and furthermore, don't sacrifice the audio to get the video out at a reasonable time. Today's Falkirk highlights show the second consecutive video with no sound whatsoever. I did notice a slight increase in quality, but nothing to write home about. This is just getting more and more embarrassing by the upload.

It looks as though we have used the Falkirk TV feed for the highlights, hence the better quality! You see the same baldy napper from the boy sitting next to the cameraman very early on in both sets of highlights. Its prob why we hear no volume as we had to turn the commentary down so it looked like ours!

All in with a Doyle Brunson

#3 macca937

macca937

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

Watched the game on Falkirk tv I'm sure they are filming using a Tablet was pretty jumpy

#4 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4449 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

It looks as though we have used the Falkirk TV feed for the highlights, hence the better quality! You see the same baldy napper from the boy sitting next to the cameraman very early on in both sets of highlights. Its prob why we hear no volume as we had to turn the commentary down so it looked like ours!

Don't really see the harm in using the home team's highlights when we're away if that's the case.

Edited by irnbru, 28 November 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#5 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

That's just ****ing shoddy

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#6 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Don't really see the harm in using the home team's highlights if we're away if that's the case.

Defeats the purpose of having our own. That's beside the point anyway. Whether we're issuing one set of highlights per season, or a full season worth, the quality should be consistent. Ours are ****ing tragic and i've no doubt it's because Morton refused to provide adequate software/equipment to the guys. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#7 Madton

Madton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2236 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

Don't really see the harm in using the home team's highlights when we're away if that's the case.

No volume is ridiculous for an official highlights package.

#8 cmdc

cmdc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4506 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

Defeats the purpose of having our own. That's beside the point anyway. Whether we're issuing one set of highlights per season, or a full season worth, the quality should be consistent. Ours are ****ing tragic and i've no doubt it's because Morton refused to provide adequate software/equipment to the guys.

Makes sense for teams at this level to share footage - saves time/cost of unnecessary duplication - but it has to be reciprocal which means bringing ours up to scratch so that other clubs are happy to share it.

#9 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Makes sense for teams at this level to share footage - saves time/cost of unnecessary duplication - but it has to be reciprocal which means bringing ours up to scratch so that other clubs are happy to share it.

Fair enough, but we're either doing it on a consistent basis or we're not at all. 

It's a bit of a riddy that the club are letting our highlights reach the public - they're genuinely that bad. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#10 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6613 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

It makes you wonder what sort of budget Jonathan has to work with.

Let’s not forget that little over a year ago the club didn’t even update it’s website, never mind providing player and manager interviews, highlights, match reports and extensive coverage of the reserve team.

But there’s no point in giving him the job if they’re not going to offer him the support to do the job properly. The club are obviously relying on volunteers for the camera work so it could just have been a case that they couldn’t make it on Saturday, which is one of the hurdles you’ve got to overcome when you don’t put your hand in your pocket. But what about facilities? It seems to me that he’s recording these interviews off his phone which comes across as half-arsed and unprofessional on the club’s part.

Show Grasses The Red Dot.

#11 Madton

Madton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2236 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:40 AM

Fair enough, but we're either doing it on a consistent basis or we're not at all. 

It's a bit of a riddy that the club are letting our highlights reach the public - they're genuinely that bad. 

Yeah that's the point that annoys me but its seems like the club don't care about their public image otherwise they wouldn't let it be published.

A  league 2 club would be ashamed of that, never mind a Championship club with aspirations of playing in the Premiership. Had a quick swatch at 2 random clubs in League 2, Peterhead and Montrose. Both offer a better highlights package than us.

Needs sorting, but clearly it's not high on the priority list.

#12 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3228 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

I get the feeling the Jonathon is wanting to run with his role and take it to the next level but he is getting a lot of pull back. However, the Interviews and highlights are so armature that I do not even watch them.

The web site is night and day and his coverage of Development Games and Top Team is excellent.

#13 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:16 PM

Yeah that's the point that annoys me but its seems like the club don't care about their public image otherwise they wouldn't let it be published.

A league 2 club would be ashamed of that, never mind a Championship club with aspirations of playing in the Premiership. Had a quick swatch at 2 random clubs in League 2, Peterhead and Montrose. Both offer a better highlights package than us.

Needs sorting, but clearly it's not high on the priority list.

Junior teams have better packages than us.

There's really no excuse for allowing that poor a package to reach the public. Just don't do it all until it's of a quality worthy of view.

The guy that used to do the highlights during our league 1 winning season told me that the club refused to pay for a decent ish editing software. Not sure if that's been rectified

Edited by TONofmemories, 28 November 2017 - 12:20 PM.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#14 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3228 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:27 PM

Why could we not work with the college and have an 'intern' do some work for us during week and weekend and they can get experience and we can get a decent package.

We could have an agreement in place that we get one each year?

#15 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

The interviews on the whole are fine. 

Have an interview backdrop made up - the badge or something - and conduct them inside where possible. No issues with passing trains etc inside. 

Edited by TONofmemories, 28 November 2017 - 12:43 PM.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#16 cmdc

cmdc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4506 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:06 PM

I get the feeling the Jonathon is wanting to run with his role and take it to the next level but he is getting a lot of pull back. However, the Interviews and highlights are so armature that I do not even watch them.

The web site is night and day and his coverage of Development Games and Top Team is excellent.

Part of the problem with this idea - which we explored at the Community Trust - was that the college at that time (things might have changed, I don't know) wasn't able to guarantee that students and/or equipment would be available, as students/equipment might be in use for other projects during term time and might have limited availability outside of term time.

ETA: wrong quote - sorry - meant to quote the post re: a college intern.

Edited by cmdc, 28 November 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#17 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14231 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

There's nothing electrifying about them.  :blush:

"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"

#18 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21150 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

The restrictions around the college are fair ones. We can't expect them to guarantee equipment availability, much less student availability, if they're not being paid.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#19 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3228 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:39 PM

Who were the guys who used to do the interviews up Parklee with when Allan Moore was in charge? The quality was excellent as was their presenting style.

#20 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14231 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:21 PM

Who were the guys who used to do the interviews up Parklee with when Allan Moore was in charge? The quality was excellent as was their presenting style.

http://inverclyde-tv.com/

#21 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3018 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

The guy that used to do the highlights during our league 1 winning season told me that the club refused to pay for a decent ish editing software. Not sure if that's been rectified

I kind of agree with that decision. Were they not asking for several hundred pounds worth of software? Totally unneeded. There are plenty of basic free software options out there that are perfectly adequate for a quick splice and dice of footage. Don't need sophisticated software - a basic title and a few transitions - done.

Camera equipment and footage quality, that's a far more important thing to deal with.

http://inverclyde-tv.com/

They were from the college. Also St Mirren's set up is done by students and that seems to function pretty well so it's not beyond the realms of possibility to find a system that works that way, but relying on volunteers is always going to come with some reliability issues.

#22 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14231 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:58 PM

I kind of agree with that decision. Were they not asking for several hundred pounds worth of software? Totally unneeded. There are plenty of basic free software options out there that are perfectly adequate for a quick splice and dice of footage. Don't need sophisticated software - a basic title and a few transitions - done.

Camera equipment and footage quality, that's a far more important thing to deal with.

They were from the college. Also St Mirren's set up is done by students and that seems to function pretty well so it's not beyond the realms of possibility to find a system that works that way, but relying on volunteers is always going to come with some reliability issues.

I was thinking that possibly Paisley was the main centre for media of the West College and that was why St Mirren's was a better set up but it appears that Greenock campus is the main centre. I guess it relies on students being Morton fans for it to happen.

http://www.westcolle.../media-tv-radio

#23 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17139 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

It should 'rely' on the club actually paying a living wage for people to produce content as part of its broader commercial strategy. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#24 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4439 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:22 PM

Other thing is - i can't see anywhere on the highlights that credit the opposing team's package. 

Looks like a copy paste job using some Morton branding. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#25 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4670 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

I was thinking that possibly Paisley was the main centre for media of the West College and that was why St Mirren's was a better set up but it appears that Greenock campus is the main centre. I guess it relies on students being Morton fans for it to happen.

http://www.westcolle.../media-tv-radio

St Mirren's is done by UWS students.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users