3862 replies to this topic

#3851 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16615 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:44 PM

My general feeling is that pro soccer in the US is expanding too quickly and the NASL is a victim of that. We need a period of consolidation. Far too many clubs are running at a loss even given the very low to non-existent wages being paid by many outfits at tier 3 and below. One advantage we have here over the old days is a massive player pool from all around the world, given immigration to the US has changed so much since the 60s, but this doesn't translate into a good professional environment. The NASL is proof.

MURCA

Spoiler

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

#3852 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21583 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

The TRVMP train has no brakes!

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#3853 M4RKO

M4RKO

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:06 AM

Great intel!
Never quite understood why they didn’t go down the college route as a tier below, or feeder to, MLS. It’s a model the public understand well.
From the outside looking in, and only having a passing interest in it, the MLS looks too big with the effect a heavily diluted elite. A second tier with promotion and relegation would be an alien concept but it’s perhaps getting to a number where it is necessary.

#3854 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21583 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

This is a total guess and I don't have any intel on it at all but I think the college route is less important because of all the US sports this is probably the one with the second most imports, or the most (ice hockey will either be ahead, or not far behind.) Ice hockey also doesn't have much of a collegiate aspect to it, with the overwhelming majority of imports coming up through the Junior Hockey system in Canada or from Europe. Similarly in soccer players come in from mostly Latin America preformed. That's not to say there's no path to professional MLS play from soccer - the laughably named "super draft" is good for a few players each season who go on to have decent careers. But it's just not the only way to go here, whereas there is no path at all to the NFL that doesn't involve college or st the very least high school football.

And you're right about the MLS, it's unwieldy and it suffers from neither having powerhouse teams full of big names nor nail-biting competitiveness. It's moored awkwardly between those two extremes. Until every single team has some star power that won't change, and the league is too big for that to happen. Teams like Columbus will never have it (arguably Dallas won't either).

Do you like Abba?

#3855 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21583 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

On the subject of development leagues it can work here - look up minor league baseball. A dizzying array of development and pro teams that run parallel to and after college baseball.

Do you like Abba?

#3856 M4RKO

M4RKO

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:29 AM

On the subject of development leagues it can work here - look up minor league baseball. A dizzying array of development and pro teams that run parallel to and after college baseball.

I stumbled across live televised 12 year olds playing softball last time I was over. The sporting culture is mind boggling. Walked round UGA last summer, a 90,000+ seater stadium stuck in middle of the campus. Utterly nuts!!

#3857 M4RKO

M4RKO

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2153 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:32 AM

I was also lucky enough to see a 0-0 draw between Orlando and Chicago. Stood behind the goal, it was more like being at a gig. No one was really, if they’re being honest, really that interested in what was happening on the pitch, but they were belting out the songs for 90 minutes non-stop. Songs with chorus and verse...

#3858 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21583 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 12:44 AM

I was also lucky enough to see a 0-0 draw between Orlando and Chicago. Stood behind the goal, it was more like being at a gig. No one was really, if they’re being honest, really that interested in what was happening on the pitch, but they were belting out the songs for 90 minutes non-stop. Songs with chorus and verse...

I've never been to an Orlando FC game but their 'ultra' scene sounds a lot like that. The fans in the beer garden section behind the goal at Dallas in fairness at least do watch the game but also focus a lot on their drums and trumpets. In Seattle and Portland they seem to combine their left-wing ultra scene with an actual interest in the game. It'll be interesting to see how Orlando do once the novelty wears off, but it's a very fast-growing area (I spend a lot of time in central and northern Florida and the central area is a boomtown right now) and even if they eventually lose the tourist traffic I think they'll be alright in terms of gates and TV coverage. Then there are teams like Dallas that have dreadful support despite being good for years.

Fan culture here is a bit odd, the 'preMEER league' is becoming fairly popular among Anglos, and Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern have good support among both Hispanics and everyone else, and LigaMX is huge with Mexicans. MLS is really in fourth place in most of the country and I think its fans overcompensate a bit. That said I do like going to the occasional Dallas match (although I'm giving tonight's friendly with Santa Tecla of El Salvador a miss.)

Do you like Abba?

#3859 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:58 AM

FIGHTTTTTT AND WINNNNNNNN

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#3860 BishopLenBrennan

BishopLenBrennan

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

I've never been to an Orlando FC game but their 'ultra' scene sounds a lot like that. The fans in the beer garden section behind the goal at Dallas in fairness at least do watch the game but also focus a lot on their drums and trumpets. In Seattle and Portland they seem to combine their left-wing ultra scene with an actual interest in the game. It'll be interesting to see how Orlando do once the novelty wears off, but it's a very fast-growing area (I spend a lot of time in central and northern Florida and the central area is a boomtown right now) and even if they eventually lose the tourist traffic I think they'll be alright in terms of gates and TV coverage. Then there are teams like Dallas that have dreadful support despite being good for years.

Fan culture here is a bit odd, the 'preMEER league' is becoming fairly popular among Anglos, and Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern have good support among both Hispanics and everyone else, and LigaMX is huge with Mexicans. MLS is really in fourth place in most of the country and I think its fans overcompensate a bit. That said I do like going to the occasional Dallas match (although I'm giving tonight's friendly with Santa Tecla of El Salvador a miss.)

Tl;dr.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

#3861 BishopLenBrennan

BishopLenBrennan

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:39 PM

Marc Fitzpatrick has snaked his way into the assistant manager's role at Airdrie. Best of luck to him C*nt.  

Edited by BishopLenBrennan, 09 February 2018 - 10:40 PM.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

#3862 suda

suda

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:03 PM

Derek Lyle 😆

#3863 macca937

macca937

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

Derek Lyle

Bring him home. Good egg in the dressing room.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users