89 replies to this topic

#76 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16441 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:18 PM

Nowadays, and also in the latter days of Rangers demise that was the case. However, Rangers in the previous incarnation were traditionally a bigger club than Celtic. The amount of people that you know that who will have been brought up in 'a Rangers tradition' will be testament to this. The likelihood is they will also outnumber those of their counterparts. It will be the same for many folk throughout Scotland.

Hmm. Not sure I agree mate. Rangers are certainly the "establishment club" but I'd wager Celtic are better known as a worldwide brand than Rangers and their European cup win will always be something they can Lord over their rivals.
"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

#77 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21150 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:47 PM

Hmm. Not sure I agree mate. Rangers are certainly the "establishment club" but I'd wager Celtic are better known as a worldwide brand than Rangers and their European cup win will always be something they can Lord over their rivals.

Worldwide, for sure Celtic are better known, especially these days, but that's only one measure, and, realistically speaking, neither Celtic nor Rangers are even on the same planet as the truly gargantuan clubs like Real Madrid, Man Utd etc. For places like Scotland the overwhelming majority of revenue will be generated in the country itself, whereas for the likes of PSG or Juventus it's still a majority but with a higher percentage from elsewhere. So foreign size matters, but how much it matters depends on the size of the league or the club.

Oddly Tottenham are becoming quite popular in the US, I see as many Spurs shirts as I do United ones, but nobody would put them on the same level in the UK.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#78 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21150 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

This is an anecdote and like all anecdotes isn't scientific but I thought it was interesting. Was in Fort William with my wife in 2010 and had to wait almost half an hour for a taxi from the town to our hotel down the coast. The driver was very apologetic and said there were only two drivers working that night because all of the others were at the Rangers game. This wasn't a CL fixture or anything, it was a midweek league fixture. It's certainly possible that all Rangers fans in Fort William are taxi drivers but I think it's more likely that Rangers were at the time so consequential that they were attracting buses-full from literally every town in the country. I don't tink that would be true of Celtic, whose support is more in and around the central belt (for obvious demographic reasons.)

Do you like Abba?

#79 Alan_Partridge_Ton

Alan_Partridge_Ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

Worldwide, for sure Celtic are better known, especially these days, but that's only one measure, and, realistically speaking, neither Celtic nor Rangers are even on the same planet as the truly gargantuan clubs like Real Madrid, Man Utd etc. For places like Scotland the overwhelming majority of revenue will be generated in the country itself, whereas for the likes of PSG or Juventus it's still a majority but with a higher percentage from elsewhere. So foreign size matters, but how much it matters depends on the size of the league or the club.

Oddly Tottenham are becoming quite popular in the US, I see as many Spurs shirts as I do United ones, but nobody would put them on the same level in the UK.

Spurs fans are c*nts but.

#80 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6612 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:35 PM

Celtic have won one European Cup 50 years ago, whereas that is a great achievement for them it merely sits alongside the achievements by the likes of such footballing giants like Aston Villa, Steaua Bucharest, PSV Eindhoven, Feyenoord, SV Hamburg, Marseille, Red Star Belgrade and is eclipsed by Nottingham Forest, Porto and Benfica who have won twice as many European Cups.

With the exception of maybe Benfica, Marseille and SV Hamburg, Celtic are a bigger club than all of those listed above; so I don't think that is perhaps the best arbiter of the size of club.

There will be many Diehard Rangers supporters throughout Scotland who have never set foot in Ibrox, also there will be many throughout Scotland with no real interest in Football who will state they are Rangers supporters, for historical and non-football reasons too. Also, in addition to Scotland, Rangers are also the biggest club in a neighbouring country by a mile - Northern Ireland - despite not being a member club of that country's Football Association.
Also, for many English people with an interest in Scottish Football, Rangers is their chosen team. More than any other club, including Celtic.
Even amongst our own supporters, there will be many whose early experience of Football involved Rangers, whether it was a Rangers supporting relative, peer group etc. There will still be some with a soft spot for Rangers. It will be the same for supporters of many other provincial teams throughout Scotland.

Rangers are massive, even compared to Chelsea despite them being richer, more successful, having more TV exposure due to the Premiership and being ECL regulars.

Edited by capitanus, 03 December 2017 - 11:43 PM.

Posted Image

#81 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21150 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:25 AM

Spurs fans are c*nts but.

I was going to play London Calling by The Clash but it's awful.

Do you like Abba?

#82 cmdc

cmdc

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4506 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:30 AM

I was going to play London Calling by The Clash but it's awful.

We’ve had our disagreements on here, but this might be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

#83 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21150 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:48 AM

We’ve had our disagreements on here, but this might be the straw that broke the camel’s back.

The album is great, the title track is awful.

Do you like Abba?

#84 Ray Von

Ray Von

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 07:48 AM

Just watched the goalcam there.
Have we had more dodgy penalties than Celtic this season?

#85 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16531 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

Just watched the goalcam there.
Have we had more dodgy penalties than Celtic this season?

Which penalties this season did you think were dodgy? I'd say we could have had more clear penalties given on Saturday had the ref been any good.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

#86 Ray Von

Ray Von

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

Which penalties this season did you think were dodgy? I'd say we could have had more clear penalties given on Saturday had the ref been any good.

Aye, I said on another thread we got denied two stonewallers on Saturday, but the one we got was dodgy.
Last weeks at Falkirk, and one or two against the Scum have maybe been of the soft variety. Not complaining, as we’ve had plenty turned down as well.

#87 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8036 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:22 AM

All three penalties against St. Mirren have been stonewallers.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#88 HamCam

HamCam

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3065 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

Any penalty against St. Mirren is a stonewaller.

FTFY.

#89 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2920 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

Came across a Greenock Morton Academy Youtube channel: https://youtu.be/FEvfT7SnQMU

Looks as though it has highlights from most of their games and more importantly a decent camera quality. If the academy can find a decent highlights package, what’s stopping the club doing this for the main team?

#90 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3228 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:42 PM

One of the guys posts on LinkedIn a lot as he records all the games then analysis them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users