Photo

Team Of The Century (2000-2017)

BINDING and OFFICIAL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
198 replies to this topic

#1 TRVMP

TRVMP

Pie Rolls for Pyros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20227 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

Hard to remember a player having such a positive impact on the club in such a short period of time than Gavin Gunning. He will I'm sure be fondly remembered. Certainly more than O'Connor and Nov and the likes.

I was idly thinking of a "team of the century" for Morton (2000 onwards) last night and I can't see past Gunning for one of the center-back spots.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#2 Ed de Ball

Ed de Ball

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

I was idly thinking of a "team of the century" for Morton (2000 onwards) last night and I can't see past Gunning for one of the center-back spots.

You should have gone to Specsavers.
Sometimes what you falsely imply can become your future nightmare.

#3 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3845 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

You should have gone to Specsavers.

You should go to the sea

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#4 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

You should go to the sea

He spends a lot of time in Grimsby so it shouldn't be an issue.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#5 Denniston

Denniston

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:01 PM

Peaso in one of the striker roles for team of the century.

#6 Denniston

Denniston

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

And Fred anchoring the midfield. Eh, VT. 😉

#7 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:11 PM

If you want the team to concede a humiliating 70 league goals, in a season where the "midfield anchor" was an ever-present, sure.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#8 Denniston

Denniston

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:25 PM

We should have a rule that anyone involved in THAT season should be nowhere near the team.

#9 TRVMP

TRVMP

Pie Rolls for Pyros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20227 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

There is a case for Imrie on the bench.

Do you like Abba?

#10 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6343 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Gaston is arguably the best goalkeeper of the century by default and I don't think anyone would contest Russell's inclusion at left back.

#11 Scott

Scott

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2648 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:35 PM

Gaston

Doyle McLaughlin Gunning Russell

Millar Hardie Tidser

Imrie Peaso O'Brien

Might have forgotten a couple of better options out wide/up front but that's the best I could come up with for team of the Century :lol: I've put Doyle in there as he seems a fairly solid right-back and I can't think of any stand out right back that we've had. Maybe Scott Taggart in the 2012/13 season but he was utterly rancid the year we were relegated. I was quite young when we had Van Zanten playing for us so can't remember how good he was but he seemed to do ok considering he got a move to the Premiership.

#12 Denniston

Denniston

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

Imrie was a good player playing in a disorganised rabble. He certainly can't be blamed for anything that year. Russell played in the 10-2 game but it was Caraux in goal. I personally can't think of a better keeper than Gaston. Looking back his save at 0-0 against Stranraer was very important.

#13 TRVMP

TRVMP

Pie Rolls for Pyros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20227 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:42 PM

I'ma start a new thread on this.

Do you like Abba?

#14 TRVMP

TRVMP

Pie Rolls for Pyros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20227 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

Was idly thinking about the possible Team of the Century last night and had to conclude that Gunning, despite playing a mere 10 league games for Morton, will probably take one of the center-back spots.

Please feel free to share your own thoughts and lineups. I'm going to give mine some more thought, but Gaston and Gunning are already stick-ons.

Do you like Abba?

#15 rex manning

rex manning

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

Any team of the century has to feature Andy McLaren.
I want a pretentious signature too.

#16 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Brian Wake.

#17 BluebirdTon

BluebirdTon

SNP w**k w**k w**k

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

Gaston

Doyle McLaughlin Gunning Russell

Millar Hardie Tidser

Imrie Peaso Williams

:smartass:

The Ton Survived & Your Pipe Dream Died

18th September 2014

#18 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16602 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

Wake
Wake Gunning Gunning Wake
Wake Wake Wake
Wake Wake© Wake

#19 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3237 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Romario Sabajo.

#20 TRVMP

TRVMP

Pie Rolls for Pyros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20227 posts

I'm considering a spot for Andy McLaren.

Do you like Abba?

#21 rex manning

rex manning

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

As you should be.

#22 TRVMP

TRVMP

Pie Rolls for Pyros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20227 posts

Any team of the century has to feature Andy McLaren.

Literally just posted that on t'other thread, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Do you like Abba?

#23 rex manning

rex manning

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:48 PM

Dominic Shimmin also....

#24 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3237 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

Weatherson has to be in there somewhere...

#25 TRVMP

TRVMP

Pie Rolls for Pyros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20227 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

Provisionally:

-----

Gaston
? Gunning ? Russell
Millar Tidser Forbes
Imrie ? McLaren

---

For right-back I'm leaning towards Doyle but I keep thinking I'm forgetting someone.

For center-back I do like McLaughlin but again I want to make sure I'm not forgetting someone.

Up front I'm totally stuck between Weatherson and Peaso. I don't like Weatherson at all but I recognize his contribution. The problem is that it was generally at a lower division than Peaso.

edit: I had Jenkins in midfield. Considered replacing him with Bachirou. Then I remembered the existence of Rossaldinho Forbes and in he went. For me midfield is where we've had the most quality this century.

Edited by TRVMP, 06 January 2017 - 05:51 PM.

Do you like Abba?