Photo

Clubs' Own Online Video/audio Coverage Of The Spfl Championship

were greenock morton were worse than you

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#1 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:31 PM

It is now scientastically proven that we are absolutely dung at everything:

Xfap5fY.png

As you can see we are the only club in the division to not only fail to offer home highlights, but to also offer absolutely nothing at all. My hope by publicizing this is that we can see this change.

Of course a new member of staff starts at Cappielow today and I'm quite sure he's aware of all this but it's still worth pointing out.

A few explanatory notes and a few interesting points:

• The above is for season 2016-17 only and for official sources only. Therefore unofficial webcasts etc. are not included, and (in Morton's case) the manager interviews are not included as they seemingly stopped before the end of the 2015-16 campaign.
  • Dundee United, Falkirk, and Hibs all charge for match highlights. I think this is a remnant of the SPL days.
  • Only one club - St. Mirren - offers home highlights but not away highlights. Everyone else lugs a camera with them.
  • Everyone (except Morton) offers at least something extra. Queen of the South has interviews with managers and players in audio format, and some teams offer press conferences etc. on YouTube. There are quite a few differing approaches.
  • Sack the board.

edit: replaced image to fix an error. Raith were listed as having no audio commentary but in fact they do offer this.

edit 2: added Hibs and St. Mirren to live audio commentary. Hibs apparently offer this but it's not advertised on their Hibs TV page - I found it on hibs.net. St. Mirren offer at least home commentary. Last season they did offer away commentary, and as they've had only one away game this season and not covered it, I assume they plan to do so here as well, but we'll see as time goes on. If they don't, I'll update the chart to make it clear it's home only.

Edited by nach0king, 15 August 2016 - 09:19 PM.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#2 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8547 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

Was actually thinking the other week that i'm surprised there's not a Morton podcast. You'd think there would be plenty candidates amongst the support that love the sound of their own voice enough to do it.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

#3 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

Was actually thinking the other week that i'm surprised there's not a Morton podcast. You'd think there would be plenty candidates amongst the support that love the sound of their own voice enough to do it.

I only included 'official' things here. As far as I know only a few clubs offer official podcasts (Queen of the South is one of them) but everyone else offers at least video interviews etc.

Do you like Abba?

#4 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8547 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

I only included 'official' things here. As far as I know only a few clubs offer official podcasts (Queen of the South is one of them) but everyone else offers at least video interviews etc.

Yeah i was just thinking outwith your fantastic chart. It was just a random thought i had the other week that with the podcast boom we're in right now and a lack of any media coverage that someone hadn't started a podcast.

Your opening post really does show the club in quite a pathetic light to be honest. I didn't realise we were that much extremely lagging behind everyone else and fixing has to become a top priority for a board who have come a long way in a short time in terms of progressing the club, but for me when you compare what we offer to every single other club then this has to jump the pecking order of priorities to be fixed..

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

#5 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:44 PM

Yeah i was just thinking outwith your fantastic chart. It was just a random thought i had the other week that with the podcast boom we're in right now and a lack of any media coverage that someone hadn't started a podcast.

Your opening post really does show the club in quite a pathetic light to be honest. I didn't realise we were that much extremely lagging behind everyone else and fixing has to become a top priority for a board who have come a long way in a short time in terms of progressing the club, but for me when you compare what we offer to every single other club then this has to jump the pecking order of priorities to be fixed..

It's open to question how much Raith and ourselves can actually make broadcasting live video to expats (like me), given that we don't have a Sevco-esque global fanbase of 5 trillion, but video highlights are surely a requirement these days at anything above amateur level. A quarter-way decent highlights package* is engaging to fans and can be shared on Facebook and the like to try to draw in others. In this day and age it's really not hard to achieve either.

I'd be interested in knowing St. Mirren TV subscription figures because I bought a one-off access for the game last week and it was superb - good quality video, replays, and the commentators, while partisan, were also fair and knowledgable. Easily TV quality. Again, I'm not sure for clubs of our size that this is economical on its own (St. Mirren team up with the UWS, who I assume do it for experience rather than lucre) but it's still interesting to see.

*the quality of video across the division is variable. QoS and Dumbarton are, to put it charitably, of the enthusiastic amateur variety. But that's still better than nothing.

Do you like Abba?

#6 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:46 PM

The Morton YouTube channel does still exist, by the way, but highlights were last uploaded last November. We had both home and away highlights for a while.

Do you like Abba?

#7 AJCTON

AJCTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3941 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

there was talk of this but despite best efforts and advice heehaw happened, lets face it Morton are not the most forward thinking or even thinking club...........maybe things will change but don't hold your breath

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

#8 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:48 PM

there was talk of this but despite best efforts and advice heehaw happened, lets face it Morton are not the most forward thinking or even thinking club...........maybe things will change but don't hold your breath

The reason I bring it up now is that we've made good progress elsewhere in recent months and there are some recent appointments at the club that suggest real change. I don't expect anything to happen overnight but we're in a good position to at least hope for improvement now. Six months ago I'd have agreed with you but the times they are a-changin'.

Do you like Abba?

#9 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14138 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:50 PM

You forgot St Mirren Radio.

http://tunein.com/ra...-Radio-s251403/

"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"

#10 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8547 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:52 PM

I actually think this board have been extremely forward thinking and you can't go from having absolutely no infrastructure to having everything in such a short space of time. I'm sure in their minds things like highlights and media coverage were on their agenda but fairly low down on priorities, but having seen the fact that every other club in this division offers something while we offer our fans absolutely nothing, the club has to make this one of their top priorities.

It's not just embarrassing, but unless it's fixed in the near future then it's also negligent in the extreme.

#11 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12037 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

I'd be more than happy to pay for an ex-pat season ticket for live streaming of home matches. 

#12 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:55 PM

You forgot St Mirren Radio.

http://tunein.com/ra...-Radio-s251403/

From what I can see they don't actually offer match coverage. I'm happy to amend the chart if I'm wrong but going on their Twitter they didn't cover the game on Saturday (probably for the best) and there's no sign that they covered our derby either.

edit: if anyone else has any corrections, by the way, these are welcomed. I'd ask on P&B but I'm banned for life :D

Edited by nach0king, 15 August 2016 - 08:01 PM.

Do you like Abba?

#13 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2896 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

Really handy guide. Lets us know where to look after a game to find some footage. In all league games bar St Mirren at Cappielow, we'll be able to find something from the opposition which is good to know.

Really bad indictment of Morton that they offer absolutely nothing across the board. This is naturally a continuation of the fact that there has been no desire in the past to have a credible news and information outlet for fans. The latter has massively improved so hopefully something can be done about the former.

whether this becomes part of the new Communications Officer's remit remains to be seen. There's a lot of tasks and areas already stacking up for him though - where will his remit stop? The website, twitter, facebook, youtube, videos, interviews, press & pr...?

Is it likely to be too much to do alone? Welcoming help would be a good start. Some perspective - QOS have a web team of 7. I would imagine at least the majority of them are volunteers.

#14 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

I'd be more than happy to pay for an ex-pat season ticket for live streaming of home matches. 

As would I, but how many people like us are there? Not many, I'd wager. Someone inside the club can probably talk to their counterparts at St. Mirren, Raith etc. and work out the numbers.

Do you like Abba?

#15 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:58 PM

Really handy guide. Lets us know where to look after a game to find some footage. In all league games bar St Mirren at Cappielow, we'll be able to find something from the opposition which is good to know.

Really bad indictment of Morton that they offer absolutely nothing across the board. This is naturally a continuation of the fact that there has been no desire in the past to have a credible news and information outlet for fans. The latter has massively improved so hopefully something can be done about the former.

whether this becomes part of the new Communications Officer's remit remains to be seen. There's a lot of tasks and areas already stacking up for him though - where will his remit stop? The website, twitter, facebook, youtube, videos, interviews, press & pr...?

Is it likely to be too much to do alone? Welcoming help would be a good start. Some perspective - QOS have a web team of 7. I would imagine at least the majority of them are volunteers.

Unfortunately the rat ****s at Falkirk, among others, would charge for highlights. Sack paying £5 a month for five minutes of what will probably be a 1-1 draw. I may update the chart to reflect that later.

The good thing about football clubs is that there would be no shortage of volunteers. The problem is that there needs to be a level of consistency. Asking volunteers to attend consistently, each and every week (and midweeks), work to deadlines etc... it begins to sound like a job. It's very, very difficult to set up a working team with zero budget and for it to produce each week. But it's not impossible.

Do you like Abba?

#16 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14138 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

From what I can see they don't actually offer match coverage. I'm happy to amend the chart if I'm wrong but going on their Twitter they didn't cover the game on Saturday (probably for the best) and there's no sign that they covered our derby either.

edit: if anyone else has any corrections, by the way, these are welcomed. I'd ask on P&B but I'm banned for life :D

They only do home games I think and they did cover the derby last week. 

#17 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

They only do home games I think and they did cover the derby last week. 

OK - later I'll update this. I'll also make it clear that live video is home only (I believe this is the case for all teams? It's definitely the case for Falkirk, St. Mirren, and Raith, but I'll confirm the others.)

Do you like Abba?

#18 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14138 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

Do we still do commentary for the blind?

I know we did at one point but it's been a long time since I've heard it mentioned.

#19 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12037 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

As would I, but how many people like us are there? Not many, I'd wager. Someone inside the club can probably talk to their counterparts at St. Mirren, Raith etc. and work out the numbers.

I would have thought there must be hundreds of Ton fans who've moved from Scotland over the years and could potentially be interested. If it was well marketed (e.g. targeted advertising on FB to people from Inverclyde and living outside Scotland) and sensibly priced I think there's potential to make a decent profit from it. The games are being filmed anyway, so it would really only need to be live streamed and someone to commentate.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant, 15 August 2016 - 08:08 PM.

#20 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:18 PM

A Morton podcast would be quite something. I'd imagine it'd involve a lot of swearing.

#21 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2896 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

Unfortunately the rat ****s at Falkirk, among others, would charge for highlights. Sack paying £5 a month for five minutes of what will probably be a 1-1 draw. I may update the chart to reflect that later.

The good thing about football clubs is that there would be no shortage of volunteers. The problem is that there needs to be a level of consistency. Asking volunteers to attend consistently, each and every week (and midweeks), work to deadlines etc... it begins to sound like a job. It's very, very difficult to set up a working team with zero budget and for it to produce each week. But it's not impossible.

Ah, forgot about the chargers. So third party coverage isn't as widespread, freely available to us as it seemed.

I'd imagine the likes of QUS having a team of 7 means that the commitment isn't too much if most of them are volunteers - there's probably a system, taking it in turns. Naturally, it's best if it was all staff and paid for, but i'm sure there's a voluntary aspect at many of the clubs (UWS at St Mirren for example). We had the Inverclyde TV lot helping but that fell away.

If there was staff leading it, with a group of volunteers - that would allow for some slack and if voluntary roles are created, then people can be changed out if it wasn't working.

Will be interesting to see if there's any reaction to this topic.

#22 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:32 PM

Help has been offered to the club, and believe it or not a fair whack of money was spent on professional recording equipment which as far as I'm aware sits in a dusty room in Cappielow.

#23 TRVMP

TRVMP

Rocket Man! Sad!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20840 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

Help has been offered to the club, and believe it or not a fair whack of money was spent on professional recording equipment which as far as I'm aware sits in a dusty room in Cappielow.

So what's the sketch? You sound like you have more details on this.

Do you like Abba?

#24 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

So what's the sketch? You sound like you have more details on this.

I wasn't actually involved in it but something was in the works last year involving a new website, match highlights etc that involved volunteers and someone working full time, for whatever reason, it fell to the wayside and nothing came of it.

#25 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

The equipment could well be getting used to film the matches for the team/management and not lying in a room, but as of a few months ago it was.