4427 replies to this topic

#1 Madton

Madton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:36 PM

What's everyone's thoughts on who to keep and let go for next season? With loans returning, pre contracts etc its bound to be a rebuilding job for Duffy, if he gets his new contract.

We know the following will be leaving;

Barr.
Luca.
Samuel.
McManus.
McMullan.
Johnstone.

I'd let go;

Miller
Peaso.

I think some might move on;

Lamie
Scullion
McNeil
Mckeown

Expecting to be here next season;

Gaston
Russell
Pepper
Kilday
OWare
Forbes
Tidser
Mckee
McCluskey.

Big job for whoever is in charge.
All in with a Doyle Brunson

#2 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4483 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:57 PM

Pretty much, yeah.

#3 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2720 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:00 PM

What's everyone's thoughts on who to keep and let go for next season? With loans returning, pre contracts etc its bound to be a rebuilding job for Duffy, if he gets his new contract.
We know the following will be leaving;
Barr.
Luca.
Samuel.
McManus.
McMullan.
Johnstone.
I'd let go;
Miller
Peaso.
I think some might move on;
Lamie
Scullion
McNeil
Mckeown
Expecting to be here next season;
Gaston
Russell
Pepper
Kilday
OWare
Forbes
Tidser
Mckee
McCluskey.
Big job for whoever is in charge.

Pretty much exactly this. Would take any of the loanees again outwith McManus but not sure we'll get them.

#4 gmfc23

gmfc23

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:31 AM

With gaston tidser and russell(i think) under contract we have a bit of a blank canvas to go on. I would keep or try and make loan deals for

Pepper
Forbes

Luca
McMullan

There has to be better players out there than mcluskey mckee and kilday although i think duffy will offer all three a contract for next season.

#5 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16205 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:33 AM

I'd add McCluskey to the release list - we should be looking to upgrade in that position - and send McKee to the sea. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#6 M4RKO

M4RKO

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2039 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:28 AM

I'd at the very least like a formation to be in mind prior to signing players so we don't end of with wingers and midfielders and strikers that can't play the weekly formation - e.g. every one of our midfielders and wide players this season, none are suited to 4-4-2. Or, the year we signed Archie Campbell and played one up front most of the season.
We can't afford a big enough squad to be flexible around formations. If it's to be 442, get wingers that can protect the full backs, and two in the middle with mobility (both) and ability to pass (one will do) and tackle (one will do).

#7 TRVMP

TRVMP

Gavin Gunning for the Supreme Court

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19714 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:50 AM

+1

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#8 Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:27 AM

I'd add McCluskey to the release list - we should be looking to upgrade in that position - and send McKee to the sea. 

Wouldn't mind keeping mccluskey as he's a decent option. Agree about McKee though. Kilday should also be off. Won't be surprised if Duffy keeps the majority of the squad though. I'd be delighted to see gasparotto and McMillan come back.

Read on here that we'd signed Jon Routledge. Any truth in that?

There's a storm on the horizon
And for that I can't see the sun
For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement
For the ice cream van to come

#9 Colkitto

Colkitto

You can't hide what's inside

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12143 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:30 AM

We will require a whole new forward line - probably the hardest part of the team to assemble.

A proper right back, defensive midfielder too.

I hope McKee stays but I've a feeling he will get a better offer elsewhere. He's impressed on the big stage and added a bit of dig to his game. His failure right now is he isn't consistent enough both in his game and his final ball. But he's young and if he can add that to his game he could play at a higher level.

I wouldn't keep McCluskey as his good performances have been far too infrequent. He was dire yesterday and really should have been subbed. On his day he's a great player to have in your team, but it just doesn't happen often enough for me.

Bit of a clear out for next season, but we're at the stage where it's probably needed.

Kilday had a good 1st half to the season and in general played well at CB. Would either keep him or Lamie, but not both.

Scullion is a bit of a dilemma, he should be playing games but he's quite rightly down in the pecking order at Cappielow. I don't see him getting a full-time club if he leaves, but may have to take a chance and go part-time to play games. Tough choice if you want to stay full-time.

Would have any of the loan signings back and Duffy was excellent in that department this season, really using the loan system to full effect. We still have a good nucleus of players such as Gaston, Pepper, Russell, Kilday/Lamie, Forbes, O'Ware, Tidser, McKee should they re-sign again.

For all his detractors Duffy has done a good job this season. Good in the transfer market, consolidation in the league and two decent cup runs.

Lets see how we get on next season.....

Edited by Colkitto, 20 March 2016 - 08:31 AM.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

#10 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4483 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

What does consolidation in the league mean in this sense? Avoid relegation?

#11 Colkitto

Colkitto

You can't hide what's inside

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12143 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:39 AM

What does consolidation in the league mean in this sense? Avoid relegation?

I would say so yes.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

#12 SpoonTon

SpoonTon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4483 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:45 AM

I would say so yes.

Fair enough. It was a genuine question. I didn't know if it was simply being used as the positive term for avoiding relegation, or if there was something more attached to it.

ETA: my fear is that we're not finishing this season with the squad in a significantly stronger position than last season (i.e. we haven't added to our core of players). And we're likely to be faced with a more difficult league next season. It's going to be difficult, in part because we haven't strengthened our position significantly.

Edited by SpoonTon, 20 March 2016 - 08:58 AM.

#13 TopCat

TopCat

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:08 AM

Hopefully Hibs and Rangers go up and we can hoover up a few loan signings from them. Johnstone and Gasparotto will be a big loss. Quite a few of the points we picked up in the first half of the season were down to them.

Routledge really stood out for me in the games he played against us so I hope that one goes through.

One of the best things we've got going for us is the age profile of the squad and the team mentality. Can't see anyone being released.

#14 steveoath

steveoath

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:02 AM

Doesn't loo like Luca is rated by rangers so i'd hope we would make him our player. Really need a quality centre mid in the mcinne/linberg mould.
MORTON - NEWCASTLE

#15 Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 11:09 AM

Hopefully Hibs and Rangers go up and we can hoover up a few loan signings from them. Johnstone and Gasparotto will be a big loss. Quite a few of the points we picked up in the first half of the season were down to them.

Routledge really stood out for me in the games he played against us so I hope that one goes through.

One of the best things we've got going for us is the age profile of the squad and the team mentality. Can't see anyone being released.

That's what concerns me. We are overloaded with centre backs and could improve at right back, central midfield, both flanks and up front. If we don't move some players on then e won't see any improvement in the squad. If that's the case then we will struggle next season.

#16 cotter

cotter

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:16 PM

Just going by who i would keep from present squad and who i think could come up from U20 squad

Goalies
Gaston / McGowan

Defenders
Kilday , Lamie , O'Ware , Russell , Pepper
Cairnie, McKeown.

Midfield
Mckee, Forbes, Tidser , Quitongo, Stevenson

Strikers
Orr,

Clearly need strikers as a priority. As with our loanees leaving and I'd expect Peaso to retire and Scullion to be released ( although I'd keep him).
Possibly couple of wide midfielders to replace Barr and McLuskey but Stef may well be offered something and would do for squad.

#17 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7695 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:46 PM

Discounting the loanees, development squad, Barr, Tidser (under contract) and Peaso (retiring).

Keep:

Gaston

Russell

Pepper

Forbes

McCluskey

Scullion

Release:

McNeil

Miller

McKeown

Undecided:

O'Ware

Lamie

Kilday

McKee

McCluskey has been one of our best players this season, it would be mental to let him go. You could argue we need better in the starting eleven to make ourselves a solid playoff challenging side rather than lower half also-rans, but even if you feel that way he's certainly good enough as cover.

I still reckon Scullion deserves a chance, and it'll be nice to have one centre forward still at the club with McManus, Johnstone, Samuel and Peaso all leaving in the summer. We've got enough rebuilding to do up there without punting Scullion as well.

Gaston, Russell and Forbes have all consistently proven they're good enough for this level, no explanation needed. I'd be keeping Pepper as a midfielder rather than a right back, though he can cover there if we're stuck.

Signing McNeil was a total waste of time, he's no better than McGowan who'll do the job as cover if Gaston's out. Put his wage towards a player we actually need.

We have far too many centre backs. While Miller hasn't played there once all season he's been completely lacking in basic defensive attributes when he's played elsewhere, consider that alongside the others all being decent at centre back and showing at least basic competence when asked to play in other positions and he has to go. It's maybe harsh on McKeown but he's completely unproven at this level and we can't afford to take a risk for the sake of sentiment when we need to get rid of players in his position.

That takes me to the undecideds: I'd be looking to keep two of O'Ware, Kilday and Lamie. Right now I'd say that'd be O'Ware and Kilday, but not set in stone. Whichever two we sign I wouldn't be looking them as first choice players, I'd hope we could get two better centre backs as starters, whether one of them's Gasparotto or not. If the window goes on and we can only sign one better I'd keep the three of them and go with O'Ware partnering Gasparotto/whoever else, but hopefully we can get two new starters then have two of O'Ware/Kilday/Lamie as centre back cover who can also help out elsewhere if necessary.

McKee has been much improved this season but he's still had just as many bad games as good ones. In the second half of the season the good games have been more frequent so hopefully that's a sign that he is starting to cope with this level, but despite some excellent performances he's still prone to being invisible and having the game pass him by completely. Of course the same thing can happen to Forbes, but we know we get far more good games than bad out of Forbes. I'm straight down the middle with McKee right now - he's finally showing that there is a player in there somewhere, but he still needs to prove that he's capable of performing consistently. He should get a run of games until the end of the season to decide it - put some consistently decent performances in and he should get a new contract, have one or two good games while being invisible and we should get rid.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#18 Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

Id be happy with gasparotto and oware as our starting centre backs next season. Gasparotto is a class act and big oware is pretty solid in that position. Both will also improve over time.

#19 Alibi

Alibi

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11859 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:11 PM

I'd love to see Luca back next season and also Denny if we could get him.  McMullan also looks decent.  I don't see Samuel coming back to warm the bench which is a shame as he's looked good when he's played.  I don't see why we signed Declan when he seems to do what Samuel should be doing.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

#20 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16205 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:13 PM

Because McManus is a better player who offers an obvious goal-scoring and creative threat?

Edited by vikingTON, 20 March 2016 - 05:38 PM.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#21 tom

tom

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:33 PM

Declan is a far better player.

#22 Mr.Blue

Mr.Blue

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5497 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

I'd love to see Luca back next season and also Denny if we could get him.  McMullan also looks decent.  I don't see Samuel coming back to warm the bench which is a shame as he's looked good when he's played.  I don't see why we signed Declan when he seems to do what Samuel should be doing

Mcmanus is a better option than Samuel. If he signed for someone else in the league and it came about that we had the option to sign him and didn't I imagine a lot of fans would have been unhappy

#23 TRVMP

TRVMP

Gavin Gunning for the Supreme Court

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19714 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 06:04 PM

^^^^^
kens the score

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#24 Alibi

Alibi

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11859 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:00 PM

I'll be interested to see how Sanmuel gets on wherever he ends up next.  He's hardly had a chance but when he has got on he has looked decent - and scored an equaliser at the Methadome so that alone says he's a superstar  :)

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

#25 Rin Tin Ton

Rin Tin Ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

I think there is a good player in Joe McKee, I think he has only just started to believe in himself and grown up a bit.

Some talented young players just get lost and never get their game to anuvva level. They just get shunted around positionally and shunted around clubs.

Maybe he likes big pitches, but I think there is more to him than that. I think give him responsibility and he might develop the right attitude, especially if we don't get the old Tidser back.

I think Stef gets a raw deal half the time; I think he doesn't hide and puts in a shift. I think half the problem with Stef this year, particularly early on, was Denny had no left foot and couldn't deal with any ball coming in from Stef.

I would keep him too.

I don't think we need many players, other to replace the loanees we'll lose, and maybe some of our youngsters are ready to step up?

Sounds like McMullan is quite good, does he stay n til next season or is it just a 2/3 month deal?

As far as I am concerned, next season is about being in the top four -all year.

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users