89 replies to this topic

#76 The Bewilderedbeast

The Bewilderedbeast

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5923 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

So he 'wiped him out' in an off the ball incident? Still a penalty.

How many times have you seen the ball running ahead of a forward clearly going out of play and there being no chance of the forward, or anyone else playing the ball and the forward being brought down, either by the keeper or defender and nothing being given.

Thomson had already won the ball and it was going over the bar, had it hit the bar and came back into play then it was a penalty all day long as he had a chance of getting to the rebound had the keeper not collided with him.

Playing devils advocate, had the keeper collected the ball and collided with Thomson, would that have been a penalty?

It was two players committed to getting to the ball who ended up colliding with each other.

φέρει στο Μίρεν st

#77 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8086 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

Honestly don't think that it was a penalty, (awaits pelters), Thomson clearly headed the ball before the keeper made contact. He may well have been put off by the keeper advancing towards him, but that's the keeper job.
Yes, he wiped him out but by that time, as you say above, the ball was out of playing range and clearly going over the bar.

The fact Thomson plays the ball before the goalkeeper makes contact is what makes it a foul. I've never understood the 'he got his shot away' line of argument, it's absolutely irrelevant.

If a player plays a pass then someone slides right through them after the ball is gone no one says 'well, he got the pass away so it's fine to clatter him' - catching the player after the ball is gone makes it a late challenge and a blatant foul. It's the exact same when someone's hitting a shot or going up for a header. Thomson goes up, wins the header then gets taken out well after the ball is gone. Where the ball is going is irrelevant. It's a late challenge that's clearly a foul, and in this case the height Smith caught him at made it dangerous so it should have been a red card as well.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#78 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16615 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

Honestly don't think that it was a penalty, (awaits pelters), Thomson clearly headed the ball before the keeper made contact. He may well have been put off by the keeper advancing towards him, but that's the keeper job.
Yes, he wiped him out but by that time, as you say above, the ball was out of playing range and clearly going over the bar.

So you're saying as long as the ball is going out of play you can challenge as late as you want with impunity?

It was a foul and therefore penalty. Doesn't matter where the ball was going. It was late and the ball was still in play.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

#79 Maximusprimes

Maximusprimes

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

If a player passes the ball and then gets cleaned out in a slide tackle or barge it's a free kick every time and usually a booking, I think getting punched in the face after heading the ball has to be a foul by those rules.

#80 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

How many times have you seen the ball running ahead of a forward clearly going out of play and there being no chance of the forward, or anyone else playing the ball and the forward being brought down, either by the keeper or defender and nothing being given.

Thomson had already won the ball and it was going over the bar, had it hit the bar and came back into play then it was a penalty all day long as he had a chance of getting to the rebound had the keeper not collided with him.

Playing devils advocate, had the keeper collected the ball and collided with Thomson, would that have been a penalty?

It was two players committed to getting to the ball who ended up colliding with each other.

Doesn't matter how often it happens and it's not given. It's a foul, a late challenge that gets nowhere near the ball, and it's a penalty. Refs having previous for s***ing out of it in the past has nothing to do with it. A foul is a foul.

Same goes for tugging and pulling and pushing at corners. Just because it is normally ignored does not mean it is not a foul and should be given.

#81 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 01:47 PM

It's a penalty. No discussion required

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#82 BishopLenBrennan

BishopLenBrennan

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 09:55 PM

A good three points, however there were aspects of our game that were sloppy. For all we kept the ball well and moved it well in spells, we also resorted to aimless hoofs up the park at times where we should have been showing more composure. In an attacking sense, I thought Thompson did well and while he's never going to be a spectacular player for us, was effective and made a solid contribution. Oliver was excellent, looked sharp and contributed well. Tiffoney used his pace well at times but I'm still not convinced that he's going to be a long-term answer to our lack of width, I think he also has a lot of technical aspects of his game that need improved. Harkins offered a good range of passing and kept our attacks moving well. 

Our defending in phases was sloppy and looked to have an air of complacency about it, particularly in the first half after we went 1-0 up. Our defending at set-pieces was rather slack and could have been punished by a better side. Lamie and O'Ware were both far too lightweight and indecisive at their goal, which was a shocking goal to concede. We made a very average striker look like a world-beater by giving him far too much time and space and were duly punished for it. I think O'Ware should be dropped for a few games while Gasparotto is here, he could do with a wee kick up the arse, with a lot of our goals this season coming from the channel between him and Doyle. While Doyle's probably been directly responsible for more of these goals than O'Ware, we have a credible option in the squad to replace O'Ware and do not have a replacement for Doyle. 

A decent win, however a marked improvement will be needed if we want to compete with Dundee United on Saturday. 

Edited by BishopLenBrennan, 04 December 2017 - 09:58 PM.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

#83 rex manning

rex manning

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

Tam could slot in at right back, which would be immediate upgrade on Doyle. This stops displacing Lamie, who has been a rock at centre back and shouldn't be shifted. Russell has his flaws, but is a better option than Doyle who really needs to be benched.
I want a pretentious signature too.

#84 BishopLenBrennan

BishopLenBrennan

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:32 PM

Tam could slot in at right back, which would be immediate upgrade on Doyle. This stops displacing Lamie, who has been a rock at centre back and shouldn't be shifted. Russell has his flaws, but is a better option than Doyle who really needs to be benched.

I disagree that O'Ware that would be an upgrade on Doyle. As poor as Doyle's been, O'Ware has never been a credible full-back at this level, even when breaking into the first-team at left-back. IIRC he was only slotted into left-back because Ross Forsyth and Creag Little were both injured and s***e respectively. 

Edited by BishopLenBrennan, 04 December 2017 - 10:32 PM.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

#85 rex manning

rex manning

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:00 PM

Fair enough. Tam sitting behind tiffony would be my preference until Doyle learns to tackle and cross a ball.
I want a pretentious signature too.

#86 Tubes

Tubes

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:28 AM

Fair enough. Tam sitting behind tiffony would be my preference until Doyle learns to tackle and cross a ball.

He played in the absolute cross of his life in the 2nd half, which was crying out for big Thomson to be on the end of. Unfortunately it was Thomson that started the move and there was no one there for it!

Special mention to Doyle for his antics with the kids when their player was down injured! Top man in that respect.

#87 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:32 PM

#88 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21583 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

Brechin really are ****ing s***e.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#89 HamCam

HamCam

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3290 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

Our highlights really are gubbins - a bit like the Brechin defence. So many awful goals difficult to choose which one deserves the award of howler of the day. Our defending at their goal is baffling, a bit like the penalty award and the Tiff knee volley but on review you have to say the pass-back for our fourth was especially special!

Edited by HamCam, 05 December 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#90 jimbobton

jimbobton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1930 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:35 PM

Horrendous defending for theirs and the softest penalty ever perhaps. Quality video though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users