57 replies to this topic

#1 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6776 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

Is anyone else less than impressed with how Warren Hawke's time as Chief Executive has been so far?

It is almost a year since he officially took over the role, but he was in-situ for longer than that unofficially and within that time the club seems to be grinding to a halt at best, and in some ways such as the Season Tickets/Turnstiles/admission fiasco it could be construed that the club is going backwards. We have failed to build upon the momentum of last season of getting to Cup semi-Final plus the play-offs, that should have been a big call for the local population to get behind the club but in the Morton style we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Is he getting an easy ride by the supporters as a result of being a 'club legend' - a term often overused to describe any jobber from a former era at any club - or would we be as tolerant of this if he were just another accountant or local businessman?
Posted Image

#2 Ray Von

Ray Von

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

He was a pretty average player as well, but he still got the gets the ball, scores a goal chant.
Don’t know if you’ve heard, but he came on as a sub in the FA cup final, and he competes in iron mans.

#3 Argyllton

Argyllton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

Jeezo, I got mare bites up the Murdie  dam in the late 70s'. Granted the turnstile scenario wasn't ideal, what do you suggest ( apart from a huge cash injection!) that will help Warren carry out his role to meet your high standards? As for the getting to the league cup semi and the play-offs last season(a brilliant achievement!),do you honestly expect a marked progress on that, and is that not for the manager to deal with? My only gripe this season is the ludicrous £3 cost of a programme, I have started buying  an extra couple of 50/50 tickets instead.

#4 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4676 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:54 PM

Jeezo, I got mare bites up the Murdie dam in the late 70s'. Granted the turnstile scenario wasn't ideal, what do you suggest ( apart from a huge cash injection!) that will help Warren carry out his role to meet your high standards? As for the getting to the league cup semi and the play-offs last season(a brilliant achievement!),do you honestly expect a marked progress on that, and is that not for the manager to deal with? My only gripe this season is the ludicrous £3 cost of a programme, I have started buying an extra couple of 50/50 tickets instead.

The new programme is excellent quality, tbf and has some very good content.

And to answer your question - yes, I personally expect a marked improvement on last season. Especially our bottle job attempt at the final quarter/playoffs

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#5 Argyllton

Argyllton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

The new programme is excellent quality, tbf and has some very good content.

And to answer your question - yes, I personally expect a marked improvement on last season. Especially our bottle job attempt at the final quarter/playoffs

Aye, OK, granted we were pretty mince  towards the end of last season,I was merely stating I thought we did well with the limited resources we had, ie (no strikers). I'll agree to disagree about the programme though!

#6 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6776 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

Jeezo, I got mare bites up the Murdie  dam in the late 70s'. Granted the turnstile scenario wasn't ideal, what do you suggest ( apart from a huge cash injection!) that will help Warren carry out his role to meet your high standards? As for the getting to the league cup semi and the play-offs last season(a brilliant achievement!),do you honestly expect a marked progress on that, and is that not for the manager to deal with? My only gripe this season is the ludicrous £3 cost of a programme, I have started buying  an extra couple of 50/50 tickets instead.

To answer your question, a club which operates at 15-20% average capacity doesn't need some convoluted membership system which alienates some of Morton's natual customer base and requires forward planning to avoid paying over the odds to see your team.

Is it just me, or can anyone else not be arsed with this whole "Membership Card" thing? I could see the sense if we attracted crowds similar to the Old Firm, but we don't. We're nowhere near that level. I doubt very much if there is a similar club to us that have got a system like ours, and one that has been so fraught with problems since it's inception.
Posted Image

#7 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6776 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

Aye, OK, granted we were pretty mince  towards the end of last season,I was merely stating I thought we did well with the limited resources we had, ie (no strikers). I'll agree to disagree about the programme though!

We did have a striker - Kudus Oyenuga - who received a contract extension on Warren's watch despite not doing anything to merit it.
Posted Image

#8 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

We did have a striker - Kudus Oyenuga - who received a contract extension on Warren's watch despite not doing anything to merit it.

Not really his call though is it?

#9 Argyllton

Argyllton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

I didn't realise Warren actioned the Kudus contract extension! I totally agree that he didn't merit it, nor did I see the inclusion of Shankland being beneficial!

#10 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6776 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:36 PM

I didn't realise Warren actioned the Kudus contract extension! I totally agree that he didn't merit it, nor did I see the inclusion of Shankland being beneficial!

Well, we had strikers but they were very ineffective and proved costly in the final quarter of last season.
Posted Image

#11 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17313 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

The turnstile fiasco has surely cost more money (spent and now being lost every matchday) than all the decisions under Donaldson's piss-poor stewardship put together.

Hawke has been talking a good game for years but there's little in terms of tangible achievements - or simply avoiding laughably obvious, vintage, Mortonesque **** ups - to suggest that he's up to the job.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#12 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:11 PM

Would agree with the above.

#13 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3177 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

Is anyone else less than impressed with how Warren Hawke's time as Chief Executive has been so far?

It is almost a year since he officially took over the role, but he was in-situ for longer than that unofficially and within that time the club seems to be grinding to a halt at best, and in some ways such as the Season Tickets/Turnstiles/admission fiasco it could be construed that the club is going backwards. We have failed to build upon the momentum of last season of getting to Cup semi-Final plus the play-offs, that should have been a big call for the local population to get behind the club but in the Morton style we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Is he getting an easy ride by the supporters as a result of being a 'club legend' - a term often overused to describe any jobber from a former era at any club - or would we be as tolerant of this if he were just another accountant or local businessman?

See this bit here. This is where you are demonstrating the very reason why there won't be many dissenters to the job Hawke is doing.

A prime example of Morton fans accepting the mediocre and celebrating it as a job well done or as some sort of achievement.

Which part of failing to win a single game in the entire final quarter of the season followed by surrendering meekly and completely failing to compete in the playoffs constitutes momentum?

#14 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17313 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

The person responsible for giving Oyenuga an extension (amid his generally piss-poor transfer activity throughout 2017) was rewarded with his own contract extension under Hawke's watch. Shan rewarding shan for rewarding shan with more of the club's resources for a longer period of time.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#15 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6776 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

See this bit here. This is where you are demonstrating the very reason why there won't be many dissenters to the job Hawke is doing.

A prime example of Morton fans accepting the mediocre and celebrating it as a job well done or as some sort of achievement.

Which part of failing to win a single game in the entire final quarter of the season followed by surrendering meekly and completely failing to compete in the playoffs constitutes momentum?

Good point well made. The last quarter of last season was a collapse in form similar to that of January 2004, however it came after a tremendous unbeaten run at Home. There was a feel good factor that could have been built upon, but we never capitalised on it.

I suppose my use of the word 'momentum' was wrong - it was also a word which an SNP canvasser used when she asked me if I was interested in joining her party after the referendum a few years back. She didn't like it when I reminded her that Scotland said No and the independence movement was a spent force, there was no 'momentum' to join the SNP for.
Posted Image

#16 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:39 AM

On a positive note, he did get shot of Salty before he even managed to get those hideous Rockports under the desk  :thumbup2: .

Show Grasses The Red Dot.

#17 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4676 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

When was the last time you purchased a match day programme out of interest?

I got one vs Dumbarton and was pretty impressed with the quality and content. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#18 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4611 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

I don't think it's fair to judge him based on Duffy's job when the club have given a fairly successful manager (in terms of cup runs and playoffs) an increased budget and supported him which is what most people would do. The football side of things can only really be looked at when things go wrong (personally I think we're a few bad results away from questions having to be asked due to the obvious gaps in the squad Duffy hasn't addressed) and we can see how that's dealt with then.

There's been a lot of good work done from putting a more professional structure in place to run things day to day to smaller things like making sure we have a worthwhile website that's regularly updated. These kind of things will take a while to have a tangible effect but for me it's been steady progress since it's obvious there was/ is a huge amount of work needing done. That said, people aren't interested in this kind of thing so work is needed in the short term to get the fans on side again after the ticket thing but I guess he knows that.

#19 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4611 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

When was the last time you purchased a match day programme out of interest?

I got one vs Dumbarton and was pretty impressed with the quality and content. 

Would agree with this and it's probably value for money when compared to the cost of other programmes. I think the content has been really good and clearly a lot of work is put into it.

#20 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4676 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

I don't think it's fair to judge him based on Duffy's job when the club have given a fairly successful manager (in terms of cup runs and playoffs) an increased budget and supported him which is what most people would do. The football side of things can only really be looked at when things go wrong (personally I think we're a few bad results away from questions having to be asked due to the obvious gaps in the squad Duffy hasn't addressed) and we can see how that's dealt with then.

There's been a lot of good work done from putting a more professional structure in place to run things day to day to smaller things like making sure we have a worthwhile website that's regularly updated. These kind of things will take a while to have a tangible effect but for me it's been steady progress since it's obvious there was/ is a huge amount of work needing done. That said, people aren't interested in this kind of thing so work is needed in the short term to get the fans on side again after the ticket thing but I guess he knows that.

Really? Latest statement seems to reckon that things are running smoothly:

"Following the Dumbarton fixture, the board are now fully satisfied the electronic turnstile entry system is operating smoothly"

Couldn't be further from reality and whilst it might work for those attending, it isn't working for a lot of people who have made the decision to avoid the games due to the whole fiasco. 

Edited by TONofmemories, 03 November 2017 - 09:11 AM.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#21 Ed de Ball

Ed de Ball

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

The chief exec is tasked with implementing the board’s strategy and management plan. Crawford is the stadium director and Nick is charged with updating IT and accounting systems. The card/turnstile software should be an integral part of the latter. It’s just plain wrong to berate Hawke as if he has sole responsibility for this.

#22 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17313 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

I don't think it's fair to judge him based on Duffy's job when the club have given a fairly successful manager (in terms of cup runs and playoffs) an increased budget and supported him which is what most people would do. 

Most chief executives wouldn't have signed off on a year's extension to Duffy's contract in September, when there was no compelling reason to do so. Rightly or not, Duffy has not attracted serious attention from larger clubs when they have bagged their managers, so it's not as if the club is securing more compensation for when the baldy Pochettino Eventually Moves On. Just like the bulk of our squad, Duffy's future was secure until the end of this season: any future deal should have been contingent on how we perform this season, not least given the piss-poor set of performances and results that we've turned in since March.

The football side of things can only really be looked at when things go wrong (personally I think we're a few bad results away from questions having to be asked due to the obvious gaps in the squad Duffy hasn't addressed) and we can see how that's dealt with then.

If we have to deal with those problems through a change in manager, then we'd need to fork out far more compensation than was required just a few months ago, with no obvious advantage accruing to the club right now. That is piss-poor management at the boardroom level. 

#23 Ed de Ball

Ed de Ball

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:58 AM

[size=3]Most chief executives wouldn't have signed off on a year's extension to Duffy's contract in September, when there was no compelling reason to do so.

Perhaps you would care to give examples of chief executives who refused to do what the owners wanted and still kept their jobs. You know perfectly well that the Duffy extension was Dougie’s decision. He was your “compelling reason”.

#24 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17313 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Perhaps you would care to give examples of chief executives who refused to do what the owners wanted and still kept their jobs. You know perfectly well that the Duffy extension was Dougie’s decision. He was your “compelling reason”.

If the incumbent chief executive is simply Rae's mouthpiece with little to no autonomy then his so-called contributions can be immediately filed in the bin then, along with the Saint Mirren main stand and every other folly of that failed regime. Your mewling defence isn't doing Hawke any favours then, but you are a complete moron so that's hardly surprising.  

#25 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16551 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:49 AM

Really? Latest statement seems to reckon that things are running smoothly:

"Following the Dumbarton fixture, the board are now fully satisfied the electronic turnstile entry system is operating smoothly"[/size]

Couldn't be further from reality and whilst it might work for those attending, it isn't working for a lot of people who have made the decision to avoid the games due to the whole fiasco. 

Yep. The website still won't allow me to buy a fan card online so if I'm working late that day I just won't go rather than pay £2 extra on general principle.
"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users