160 replies to this topic

#1 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16551 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

I hate to say it but like Kilmarnock we are a club in terminal decline. Unless the Raes hand over the reigns to fresh blood sooner rather than later we may never recover from this. I've never felt apathy surrounding Morton as bad as it is currently. I chose to work overtime rather than go to the game and I'd class myself as relatively hardcore. Raes out!!!

Edited by LargsTON, 21 October 2017 - 06:23 PM.

"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

#2 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16551 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

Like many I'm looking forward to a day on the bevy next week more than the game. A heavy drubbing in front of a well oiled Morton support next week could see a tipping point.

#3 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

The only reason I have any hope for next week is that we have a habit of putting in a performance at the most unexpected times (Scum, Dunfermline.)

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#4 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17313 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

There are more than enough valid criticisms to be made without claiming that crowds are falling. They're really not, and you wouldn't expect anything higher today given that it was a game against a nothing club played in rancid conditions. An Ajax '95 style Morton side wouldn't have got many fairweather fans to go out into that pishing rain at lunchtime today. There have regularly been sub-1000 crowds at Cappielow in similar conditions.

'Falling attendances' is a shan, Rae punting John McCormack reason for action anyway, when there are far more pressing reasons to purge mediocrity from this once-proud football club. If we ever wish to punch above our weight - and likely achieve top-flight football as a result - then we will need to upgrade in the dugout. Duffy is a safe pair of hands, who will deliver a seaside league title and solid midtable finishes with the budget at his disposal here. He lacks either the tactical nous or transfer acumen to do anything more though, and the last three games have brutally exposed that reality. Give him a gold watch for his undoubted contribution but we must find better - just as Duffy himself correctly shipped out limited cloggers like Sean Crighton straight after clinching La Decima.

Given the huge impact that even one season of top flight football, TV and prize money and then the resulting parachute payments could have on GMFC's alarming debt figure, mediocrity is no longer an acceptable option for the club. It has been imperative for about a decade that Morton achieve top flight football, or else we will be doing an Airdrie United when the next backer after the Raes loses interest. We are at that crossroads right now IMO. Ruthlessness is required in terms of the management team and squad - the trait that above all else has led Ross County to becoming an established top flight club.

Edited by vikingTON, 21 October 2017 - 07:57 PM.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#5 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17313 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

Like many I'm looking forward to a day on the bevy next week more than the game. A heavy drubbing in front of a well oiled Morton support next week could see a tipping point.

I can't see anyone wanting to air our dirty laundry in front of those mutants: a mass two goal swing is far more likely.

That said I fully expect Duffy to revert to s***festing mode anyway, given the current league table and the fact that we're away. If Tidser or McManus are fit then a win shouldn't be ruled out then.

But we'd then lose at home to Queen of the South or Inverness regardless.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#6 hoodless

hoodless

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:09 PM

Duffy will remain and we'll slip into oblivion. Games a bogey lads. RAES OUT

#7 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4676 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:21 PM

Duffy will remain and we'll slip into oblivion. Games a bogey lads. RAES OUT

Retweet.

A couple of posters up in stand etc just isn't cutting it.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#8 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

I don't think we'll slip into oblivion - Duffy is a safe pair of hands who has performed from 'fair' to 'excellent.' The problem is that 'fair' is deeply unexciting right now and there's a general malaise around the club. Binning him wouldn't fix the bigger issue and imo should only be done if we're in danger of a relegation scrap.

Do you like Abba?

#9 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17313 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:23 AM

I don't think we'll slip into oblivion - Duffy is a safe pair of hands who has performed from 'fair' to 'excellent.' The problem is that 'fair' is deeply unexciting right now and there's a general malaise around the club. Binning him wouldn't fix the bigger issue and imo should only be done if we're in danger of a relegation scrap.

If Duffy was managing a debt-free, break-even yeoman outfit then you'd have a point. But he doesn't.

A safe pair of hands will result in oblivion as soon as the £2 million valued stack of s***e already sitting on GMFC's books hits the fan. At which point Duffy will do as he did at Clyde: finish bottom of the entire national league. With fewer resources he shall be proportionately more useless.

GMFC's straw clutching 'business plan' is now entirely dependent on Morton - for once in the last two generations - actually punching above its weight for one season at least. A mediocre, 'safe pair of hands' manager is entirely fatal to that strategy.

Edited by vikingTON, 22 October 2017 - 12:37 AM.

#10 Mr Toon

Mr Toon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

I think for the first time in my life I admitted to myself that I would rather have seen Morton lose in an exciting attractive match than be part of what we witnessed for much of yesterday.
Dumbarton after the gift goal were time wasting on an industrial scale permitted by a referee who was happy to allow it and at the end of the match added just three minutes, the absolute minimum given the added time for substitutions.
Referees should realise that they have an obligation in administering the rules to take account of the fact that it is a spectator sport and they have as much latitude as they need to "hurry along" throw ins, goal kicks, and the other time wasting antics so ably deployed by Dumbarton yesterday.
Of course it is not just them and teams are complimented for "seeing a game out" which is not always but can be a euphemism for wasting time.
I read last week that there is a suggestion doing the rounds that the timing of matches should be related only to when the ball is in play and if that could be managed it might improve matters.
I would also be very interested in the possibility of bonus points for the number of goals scored e.g. an extra point for 3 goals scored an another bonus point for each additional 2 after that , these points to be awarded to teams in addition to what already stands.
So a 3-0 win would give the winning team 4 points, a 5-0 win 5 points but in e.g. a 3-3 draw each team would get 2 points and so on.

We need some fresh thinking to make the games more attractive.

The philosophy of "if they score 3 we will score 4" makes for a much more attractive prospect than "if we don't concede we can't lose" and the second of those seems much more prevalent in the Scottish Championship at present.

#11 Madton

Madton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

Run that past me again....
All in with a Doyle Brunson

#12 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

If Duffy was managing a debt-free, break-even yeoman outfit then you'd have a point. But he doesn't.

A safe pair of hands will result in oblivion as soon as the £2 million valued stack of s***e already sitting on GMFC's books hits the fan. At which point Duffy will do as he did at Clyde: finish bottom of the entire national league. With fewer resources he shall be proportionately more useless.

GMFC's straw clutching 'business plan' is now entirely dependent on Morton - for once in the last two generations - actually punching above its weight for one season at least. A mediocre, 'safe pair of hands' manager is entirely fatal to that strategy.

I don't disagree with this, but it suggests to me that it's the business plan that's gubbins, since it relies on either a multi-million pound sale (or sell-on clause) of a youth player, or a truly once-in-a-lifetime manager. The former is if anything more likely than the latter, since last season we did punch above our weight (and the likes of St. Mirren punched below) and still were nowhere near promotion in the end (three play-off games against better teams is not "close".)

Do you like Abba?

#13 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16551 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

I think for the first time in my life I admitted to myself that I would rather have seen Morton lose in an exciting attractive match than be part of what we witnessed for much of yesterday.
Dumbarton after the gift goal were time wasting on an industrial scale permitted by a referee who was happy to allow it and at the end of the match added just three minutes, the absolute minimum given the added time for substitutions.
Referees should realise that they have an obligation in administering the rules to take account of the fact that it is a spectator sport and they have as much latitude as they need to "hurry along" throw ins, goal kicks, and the other time wasting antics so ably deployed by Dumbarton yesterday.
Of course it is not just them and teams are complimented for "seeing a game out" which is not always but can be a euphemism for wasting time.
I read last week that there is a suggestion doing the rounds that the timing of matches should be related only to when the ball is in play and if that could be managed it might improve matters.
I would also be very interested in the possibility of bonus points for the number of goals scored e.g. an extra point for 3 goals scored an another bonus point for each additional 2 after that , these points to be awarded to teams in addition to what already stands.
So a 3-0 win would give the winning team 4 points, a 5-0 win 5 points but in e.g. a 3-3 draw each team would get 2 points and so on.
The philosophy of "if they score 3 we will score 4" makes for a much more attractive prospect than "if we don't concede we can't lose" and the second of those seems much more prevalent in the Scottish Championship at present.

I'd ban you if I was still a mod.

#14 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14332 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

I'd ban you if I was still a mod.

Why don't you start a thread purely for that purpose.  :1eye:

"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"

#15 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6776 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

Is Mr Toon a relation of the creepy doctor?
Posted Image

#16 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16551 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

Why don't you start a thread purely for that purpose.  :1eye:

Hmmm. Not sure I could handle your tongue in my ringpiece again tbh.

#17 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16551 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:53 PM

Is Mr Toon a relation of the creepy doctor?

Brother apparently.

#18 capitanus

capitanus

POINTING AND LAUGHING

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6776 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

Brother apparently.

Let the hounding commence....
Posted Image

#19 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

James Duffy has as long as he wants in this job surely? Morton don't have the funds to pay down the remaining 18 months of his contract, bloody turnstiles put paid to that. Robbing Jim to pay Paul!

The board (understandably) loves him, I reckon the only way he's leaving is in the style of McInally (minus crawling on his Dundonian belly like a ****ing snake.) There's not a chance in hell they've even started thinking about sacking him, and imo nor should they. We're still on track for mid-table, which is presumably what they're aiming for.

Do you like Abba?

#20 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4676 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:40 AM

The sad thing for me is that when you look at how down and out the midden where last year to now, you have to wonder what the **** goes on at Cappielow.

Every dog has their day, but not at Cappielow it seems. Quite how we've not managed to mount a credible challenge in years is disgraceful and really all boils down to the complete apathy among our board and our support. 

No one seems remotely arsed with  Morton compared with those from up the road who have a real togetherness. 

We're going nowhere. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#21 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8067 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:00 AM

I'd like to hold onto some hope that Duffy knows fine well our performances have been nowhere near good enough and that internally he's made that clear to the players while also being aware that his own tactical flaws are the biggest issue, but in reality it's hard to avoid the conclusion that he's just deluding himself. You can understand a manager wanting to avoid public criticism of players, but there's a significant difference between dishing out public dressing downs and giving an honest appraisal of the performance without having a go at individuals.

There's nothing stopping him acknowledging that we aren't playing well and are a disjointed mess of a football team at the moment so it seems he genuinely believes the nonsense about dominating and deserving to win, which in turn means he's going to make no attempt to fix the myriad of blatantly obvious problems.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#22 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16556 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:25 AM

If the board and the manager are simply happy to tread water then results and performances like that are not going to be much cause for worry.

Oh well, bad luck lads, moving on to next week.

The lack of ambition from the summer is oozing out of the team on the pitch.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

#23 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

What is the target this season for the team?

Why did we not come out and say 'We are aiming for the title' or say 'We are here to be in play offs'

Why do we never come out and declare we are lookingto progress and challenge? What is the ambition at the club?

#24 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4676 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

What is the target this season for the team?

Why did we not come out and say 'We are aiming for the title' or say 'We are here to be in play offs'

Why do we never come out and declare we are lookingto progress and challenge? What is the ambition at the club?

None exists. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#25 TaunTon

TaunTon

8th just fine Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

What is the ambition at the club?

I really don't think that anyone that matters at the club has any ambition other than survival in the Championship. As long as there's one or two relegation certainties in the mix then we'll do exactly what we are doing at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users