33 replies to this topic

#1 axeman

axeman

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2167 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:18 PM

Goal scoring record holder & former manager was tonight inducted into the Scottish Football Hall of Fame. He was joined by another ex-player in John Clark.

https://gmfc.net/201...h-hall-of-fame/

Edited by axeman, 15 October 2017 - 10:20 PM.

I'd love to have you both for dinner

#2 Waverley

Waverley

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

Congratulations to Allan, a well-deserved honour.

The team line-up around that time still rolls off my tongue; Millar, Boyd, Mallon, Reilly, Kiernan, Strachan, Adamson, Stevenson, Caven, McGraw and Wilson. As a team they should be in the Hall of Fame..

#3 Mr Toon

Mr Toon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:30 PM

Although it was more often Brown in goals if my memory serves me well and certainly in the League Cup Final.

#4 Ed de Ball

Ed de Ball

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

Although it was more often Brown in goals if my memory serves me well and certainly in the League Cup Final.

Me too. I thought that Clark and Chalmers just went through the motions during our time with us and that Kennedy was truly abysmal particularly in a Hamden semi drubbing from Celtic.

#5 Mr Toon

Mr Toon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

Me too. I thought that Clark and Chalmers just went through the motions during our time with us and that Kennedy was truly abysmal particularly in a Hamden semi drubbing from Celtic.

Can't agree about Clark. He was still a class act and paired with our younger centre halfs of the time gave us one of the best central defences around.

Charlmers and Kennedy on the other hand were different types of players and their best days were well behind them by the time they came to us.

#6 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Congratulations to Allan, a well-deserved honour.

The team line-up around that time still rolls off my tongue; Millar, Boyd, Mallon, Reilly, Kiernan, Strachan, Adamson, Stevenson, Caven, McGraw and Wilson. As a team they should be in the Hall of Fame..

Not trying to be a dick here but... why, exactly? For winning the second tier, getting a mid-table finish, and then getting relegated again?

The year of McGraw's record, I'm sure they were absolutely scintillating... for the second tier. I can see why McGraw was given a HoF spot (the goalscoring record, a top-flight career with Morton and Hibs, then over a decade as a manager) but if you're going to give an entire team a HoF slot it should be for something truly monumental, and skooshing a division with Brechin and Montrose in it is not that.

edit: I just looked it up - the only teams inducted to the HoF have been the Lisbon Lions and (for non-footballing reasons) McCrae's Battalion. The Morton side of the mid-60s doesn't belong.

Edited by TRVMP, 16 October 2017 - 01:25 PM.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#7 Ed de Ball

Ed de Ball

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

Not trying to be a dick here but... why, exactly? For winning the second tier, getting a mid-table finish, and then getting relegated again?

The year of McGraw's record, I'm sure they were absolutely scintillating... for the second tier. I can see why McGraw was given a HoF spot (the goalscoring record, a top-flight career with Morton and Hibs, then over a decade as a manager) but if you're going to give an entire team a HoF slot it should be for something truly monumental, and skooshing a division with Brechin and Montrose in it is not that.

No need to try, you already are a dick.

#8 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

Sorry, I forgot you masterminded the championship-winning season and were later instrumental in changing both the passback and two-points-for-a-win rule.

Do you like Abba?

#9 Mr Toon

Mr Toon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

edit: I just looked it up - the only teams inducted to the HoF have been the Lisbon Lions and (for non-footballing reasons) McCrae's Battalion. The Morton side of the mid-60s doesn't belong.

I think Waverley's comment about the whole team is tongue in cheek. McGraw on the other hand, for his goal scoring record alone is well worthy of his place.

#10 Niall

Niall

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

I thought he was talking about the Morton Hall of Fame for the 63/64 team, not the Scottish Hall of Fame. 

#11 Ed de Ball

Ed de Ball

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

Sorry, I forgot you masterminded the championship-winning season and were later instrumental in changing both the passback and two-points-for-a-win rule.

Nice wee deflection there, standard clique tactic, almost as tedious as Duffy Hoofball. The fact of the matter is that the opinion of someone who spunks green dots at the every mention of no mark itinerant jobbers like Wake and Gunning ain’t worth a bucket of spit when it comes to discussing Hall of Fame candidates.

#12 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:02 PM

Nice wee deflection there, standard clique tactic, almost as tedious as Duffy Hoofball. The fact of the matter is that the opinion of someone who spunks green dots at the every mention of no mark itinerant jobbers like Wake and Gunning ain’t worth a bucket of spit when it comes to discussing Hall of Fame candidates.

Morton finished 19th in the SFL that year, and were back in time to win the third leg of La Decima by 1967. I'm sure 63/64 was fantastic, and there were other good times after that (I recall Joe Caven telling us all about scudding Kilmarnock 5-1), but we survived in the old eighteen team division one for one solitary season. That is not anywhere near on a par with some of the great teams to grace Scottish football in every generation since it's inception.

Still, let's not let these pesky facts get in the way of you trying to make a tit out of someone, only for it to end with you looking like Kirk Broadfoot, you complete f*cking bellend.

Show Grasses The Red Dot.

#13 Ed de Ball

Ed de Ball

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Morton finished 19th in the SFL that year, and were back in time to win the third leg of La Decima by 1967. I'm sure 63/64 was fantastic, and there were other good times after that (I recall Joe Caven telling us all about scudding Kilmarnock 5-1), but we survived in the old eighteen team division one for one solitary season. That is not anywhere near on a par with some of the great teams to grace Scottish football in every generation since it's inception.

Still, let's not let these pesky facts get in the way of you trying to make a tit out of someone, only for it to end with you looking like Kirk Broadfoot, you complete f*cking bellend.

You sound as if someone has squeezed lemon juice on your haemorrhoids. Go and filch a Happy Meal. Anhedonia can be treated you know.

The thrust of the thread is to celebrate a well deserved award to a loyal club man. Who on earth wants a Hall of Fame populated solely by the Old Firm supported by bigots and those aided by EBT and Film Loss backed finance, insolvencies etc. Emotional concepts like loyalty, dedication, determination, professionalism, charisma etc as well as an ability to find develop and sell on players at a profit also come into play. Not all of life is about handing out gold stars to numpties for completing mundane processes.

But why let a rare club celebration get in the way of an ill tempered abusive rant?

#14 Ton in Shawlands

Ton in Shawlands

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

Nice to now have two guys, Cowan & McGraw, in this who are mainly remembered for their time at Morton. (This is probably when somebody digs me up for missing out someone else).

#15 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

Speaking of which, you must be in line for next year's induction.

Do you like Abba?

#16 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

You sound as if someone has squeezed lemon juice on your haemorrhoids. Go and filch a Happy Meal. Anhedonia can be treated you know.
The thrust of the thread is to celebrate a well deserved award to a loyal club man. Who on earth wants a Hall of Fame populated solely by the Old Firm supported by bigots and those aided by EBT and Film Loss backed finance, insolvencies etc. Emotional concepts like loyalty, dedication, determination, professionalism, charisma etc as well as an ability to find develop and sell on players at a profit also come into play. Not all of life is about handing out gold stars to numpties for completing mundane processes.
But why let a rare club celebration get in the way of an ill tempered abusive rant?

Just to be clear - you agree that the Morton team of the mid 1960s has earned a spot in the Scottish Football Hall of Fame?

Do you like Abba?

#17 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

I thought he was talking about the Morton Hall of Fame for the 63/64 team, not the Scottish Hall of Fame.

If so it could win a spot this coming December.

Do you like Abba?

#18 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16551 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

I don't like your attitude.
"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

#19 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

Nobody, absolutely nobody, is grudging Allan McGraw his place in the Hall of Fame.

I'd say that to a man (and LinwoodTON) we're all delighted for him. However, let's look at some more of these pesky facts. Nach0 has merely played Devil's Advocate by saying that in the grand scheme of Scottish football (where only the Lisbon Lions and McCrae's Battalion have ever been inducted as teams) that a good promotion season doesn't quite cut it. Guess what? It doesn't. Aberdeen's Cup Winner's Cup winning team and Dundee United's UEFA Cup Finalists of the 1980s haven't even been inducted.

You tried to get one over Nach0 because age is all you have over him, once again turning what should be a positive thread into a dick measuring contest- in which you've once again been put in your place, f*ckwit.

Show Grasses The Red Dot.

#20 Alan_Partridge_Ton

Alan_Partridge_Ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

What does 'filch' mean?

#21 Mr Toon

Mr Toon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:43 PM

In the McGraw context that 5-1 win against Kilmarnock was very significant. He had been out for quite a while after taking a bad injury against St Mirren and the Kilmarnock game was his first game back. He scored 4 of the 5 goals with Joe Caven getting the other. Joe was a great player for us too and as well as scoring a good few himself set Allan up for a good number of his.

#22 Ton in Shawlands

Ton in Shawlands

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Archie MacPherson's now in there, after that precedent it's time for the Arthur Montford campaign to start.

#23 TaunTon

TaunTon

8th just fine Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7708 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

Nice to see Allan McGraw getting recognised for his contribution to Scottish football. He was a great striker, fearless and determined and he paid a heavy price for his commitment.

McGraw and Cavan were a great partnership and a real joy to watch.

#24 Captain Rex Kramer

Captain Rex Kramer

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

No mark itinerant jobber Wake = top scorer in a Morton team placed 19th in Scottish football.
Deserved Scottish Hall of Fame entrant Allan McGraw = top scorer in a Morton team placed 19th in Scottish football.

Good to know that your tears and drool will be put to good use polishing Wake's own inevitable plinth Mhairi.

#25 LinwoodTON

LinwoodTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14332 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:52 PM

No mark itinerant jobber Wake = top scorer in a Morton team placed 19th in Scottish football.
Deserved Scottish Hall of Fame entrant Allan McGraw = top scorer in a Morton team placed 19th in Scottish football.

Good to know that your tears and drool will be put to good use polishing Wake's own inevitable plinth Mhairi.

I see simple addition fails you. 

"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users