122 replies to this topic

#26 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

Well, Toby, if you hadn't deleted your post, none of those players were inducted whilst managing their respective clubs. That's sort of the point here.

#27 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

Well, Toby, if you hadn't deleted your post, none of those players were inducted whilst managing their respective clubs. That's sort of the point here.

https://rangers.co.u...y/hall-of-fame/

http://www.liverpool...ry/hall-of-fame

Except both McCoist and Dalglish are members of their clubs' Halls of Fame.

Even if Duffy was to get sacked as Morton Manager, it wouldn't detract from the credibility of such an accolade.

Show Grasses The Red Dot.

#28 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

https://rangers.co.u...y/hall-of-fame/

http://www.liverpool...ry/hall-of-fame

Except both McCoist and Dalglish are members of their clubs' Halls of Fame.

Even if Duffy was to get sacked as Morton Manager, it wouldn't detract from the credibility of such an accolade.

Were they inducted whilst managing the clubs?

#29 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

Were they inducted whilst managing the clubs?

That's not the point.

If Duffy is sacked, would that mean he's not eligible to be inducted into a Hall of Fame?

#30 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

That's not the point.

If Duffy is sacked, would that mean he's not eligible to be inducted into a Hall of Fame?

It literally is though. I'd steer away from inducting someone that could end up being sacked months later, just as I'd wait a good few years if he'd been sacked. It really is just a situation worth avoiding.

#31 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

It literally is though. I'd steer away from inducting someone that could end up being sacked months later, just as I'd wait a good few years if he'd been sacked. It really is just a situation worth avoiding.

No, if he deserve it he deserves it. I'd imagine McCoist and Dalglish were inducted before managing their respective clubs, second time around in Dalglish's case. If we're going down the route of not taking risks about what might happen in the future we might as well make every award posthumous.

It's really not a massive embarrassment if a legend has to walk for the greater good. That's football.

#32 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

No, if he deserve it he deserves it. I'd imagine McCoist and Dalglish were inducted before managing their respective clubs, second time around in Dalglish's case. If we're going down the route of not taking risks about what might happen in the future we might as well make every award posthumous.

It's really not a massive embarrassment if a legend has to walk for the greater good. That's football.

It's a situation we can avoid though, and there's no real need to do it.

#33 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

It's a situation we can avoid though, and there's no real need to do it.

There's no real need to have a Hall of Fame in the first place, but if we are to have one, risking the embarrassment of having to sack a member of it is no worse than sacking a guy who's a legend at Morton anyway.

It's not something "to be avoided".

#34 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:21 PM

There's no real need to have a Hall of Fame in the first place, but if we are to have one, risking the embarrassment of having to sack a member of it is no worse than sacking a guy who's a legend at Morton anyway.

It's not something "to be avoided".

I don't see any point in risking it, but each to their own.

#35 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

I don't see any point in risking it, but each to their own.

There is no risk. A risk would be giving him a 5 year deal and having to pay off a good chunk of his contract if things go tits up, not awarding him a crystal decanter and putting his name on a wall in the boardroom.

#36 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

There is no risk. A risk would be giving him a 5 year deal and having to pay off a good chunk of his contract if things go tits up, not awarding him a crystal decanter and putting his name on a wall in the boardroom.

Punting him a few months after honouring him wouldn't sit well with me, it wouldn't look particularly good either. I'm aware Morton aren't exactly known for being ruthless when it comes to managers bit it would just all be a bit weird.

#37 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

Punting him a few months after honouring him wouldn't sit well with me, it wouldn't look particularly good either. I'm aware Morton aren't exactly known for being ruthless when it comes to managers bit it would just all be a bit weird.

It wouldn't look particularly good to who?

#38 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:34 PM

The Baseball Hall of Fame says you need to be retired for five years before getting in. That's how this should work too.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#39 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:36 PM

It wouldn't look particularly good to who?

Literally anyone. You don't think Morton binning a Hall of Famer months, or even weeks after a big night in his honour would reflect badly, regardless of the situation the team finds itself in? There is a reason clubs tend not to induct people on the payroll.

Edited by TheGoon, 07 July 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#40 Malt

Malt

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3477 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

Doubt the press would have a melt down over the prestigious Morton hall of fame sacking someone who was inducted.  

#41 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:39 PM

The Baseball Hall of Fame says you need to be retired for five years before getting in. That's how this should work too.

I'd go along with that.

#42 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

Literally anyone. You don't think Morton binning a Hall of Famer months, or even weeks after a big night in his honour would reflect badly, regardless of the situation the team finds itself in? There is a reason clubs tend not to induct people on the payroll.

Malt's already answered that point.

The press wouldn't give a flying f*ck about that. I've got no idea who the likes of Raith Rovers and Falkirk for example have in their Hall of Fame, or if they even have one.

And if the media or opposing fans did dig the club for it, what Hugh Keevins on Super Scoreboard or Gaz FFC on Pie and Bovril think doesn't matter one little bit.

Edited by Toby, 07 July 2017 - 03:44 PM.

#43 irnbru

irnbru

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4611 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

I think it would have been good if each year we had a Sportsman Dinner for it.

Say it was McGraw. Have 2 or 3 ex players/colleagues there to tell stories of working with him/under him, have some video messages from players eh signed etc then hand over to the man himself. Let him have the spotlight for the night.

From a financial point of view, we could have made a regular stream of income but we threw 8 in, in the first go. 4 more to go in and like others, I can only see a few more if we are going 4 at a piece before we start having calls for Scott Bannerman and the likes to go in.

Benny Rooney
Hal Stewart
Davie Hayes
63-64 Team

Should, and likely will, be given there place but then after that we are done to a few. Davie Wylie? Peter Weatherson? Douglas Rae?

It would be difficult to sell tickets every year with all of the other dinners not to mention get auction items, sponsors, etc as well as the voluntary time to organise.

#44 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

Malt's already answered that point.

The press wouldn't give a flying f*ck about that. I've got no idea who the likes of Raith Rovers and Falkirk for example have in their Hall of Fame, or if they even have one.

And if the media or opposing fans did dig the club for it, what Hugh Keevins on Super Scoreboard or Gaz FFC on Pie and Bovril think doesn't matter one little bit.

You may not be arsed, but I doubt the club would appreciate the negative press they'd likely encounter. It's something we don't have to do, and can avoid potentisl nonsense like it by putting him in later when he's not here.

#45 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

You may not be arsed, but I doubt the club would appreciate the negative press they'd likely encounter. It's something we don't have to do, and can avoid potentisl nonsense like it by putting him in later when he's not here.

If the club were to sack Duffy, they'd suffer negative press anyway. He's a popular figure in the game, writes for one of the biggest tabloids and works for probably the biggest daily radio phone in programme in the country. His pals would rally round him as they do every time one of their mates gets punted.

It goes with the territory of having to dispense with the services of a popular figure. Awarding him a crystal decanter would make very little difference to the media reaction to that.

#46 GiGi

GiGi

Animal Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16556 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

If we start looking to rounders to decide how to treat our club legends we'd be as well folding the club now.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

#47 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:25 PM

It's a boring sport but they get the "meta" stuff right. Seriously, considering just how tedious it is, it's a huge industry with an excellent farm team system and the museums/hall of fame are second to none.

If you combined the joys of football with the infrastructure of US baseball you'd take over the world.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#48 AyrshireTon

AyrshireTon

The Buzzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8065 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

I don't think you necessarily have to restrict it to long serving players.

A player who has spent three or four years at the club, playing less than 100 games but being brilliant for that spell can still be deserving of a place, just as a player who was at the club for more than decade and played 200+ games but was ultimately just decent and a bit of utility player doesn't deserve a place purely for how long they were at the club.

Janne Lindberg v David MacGregor, for example. Would anyone argue against Lindberg being included on the basis of only being here for three years, knowing how good he was?

Fair point - playing a few seasons and racking up both games and goals (or clean sheets) would definitely be worth consideration.
I'd definitely separate "Hall of Fame candidate" from "cult hero", though.

“McGhee needs some support, there’s no-one backing him up.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here’s Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control…”

“That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton’s supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.”

#49 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Could add in a Cult Hero award I suppose...

#50 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

Fair point - playing a few seasons and racking up both games and goals (or clean sheets) would definitely be worth consideration.
I'd definitely separate "Hall of Fame candidate" from "cult hero", though.

Who would you consider a "Cult Hero", but not a "Hall of Fame Candidate"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users