TIME FOR CHANGE!

#27 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

McGraw's story would have been early 90s most likely and the amount the game has changed even since those days is unreal.

Had a wee chuckle at Allan's story, but I think his memory may have been playing tricks on him as something doesn't add up. Of course maybe it's my memory that's playing tricks on me, that's also possible, ha!

But.... as far as I can remember, we only played Celtic once in the Scottish Cup while Allan was manager, in season 91-92 when we lost 3-0 at Parkheid. In fact I even remember the date, 7 March 1992, as it was the day after my wife found out she was pregnant with our first child. :) Anyway, that season we didn't play St Johnstone in the league as they were in the Premier and we were in the old 1st division. 

So I'm calling bulls*** on Allan's story. :)

#28 tolmie perms r bak

tolmie perms r bak

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

we did play them in league cup we lost 4-2 mciness and ogg in his managerial time at morton i think were the goalscorers  ,the game was suppost to be on bskyb but pulled out last min due to the welsh fa moaning about it, if allan says it happened it happened a man of his stature he can say what he wants  :angel:

Edited by tolmie perms r bak, 15 September 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#29 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

we did play them in league cup we lost 4-2 mciness and ogg in his managerial time at morton i think were the goalscorers  ,the game was suppost to be on bskyb but pulled out last min due to the welsh fa moaning about it, if allan says it happened it happened a man of his stature he can say what he wants  :angel:

Nah, sorry, that League Cup game against Celtic was in the same season. 

Allan is a bulls***ter, you're going to have to deal with that. :)

#30 TRVMP

TRVMP

Your favorite president (me)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

He's very adamant that it was St. Johnstone at least, up to and including phoning Alex Totten, so he might just be mixed up about Celtic.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#31 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:37 PM

He's very adamant that it was St. Johnstone at least, up to and including phoning Alex Totten, so he might just be mixed up about Celtic.

That, or he was just bulls***ting. :)

#32 The Bewilderedbeast

The Bewilderedbeast

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

I remember the park being flooded by the fire service, but couldn't say exactly when or for what game(s).

There was a fireman involved who I went to school with and he often spoke about it.

Edited by The Bewilderedbeast, 15 September 2017 - 02:43 PM.

φέρει στο Μίρεν st

#33 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

I remember the park being flooded by the fire service, but couldn't say exactly when or for what game(s).

There was a fireman involved who I went to school with and he often spoke about it.

I remember hearing that too, but I kinda find it very hard to believe to be absolutely honest. Always put it down as a local Urban Myth, but you never know I suppose.

My suspicion is that Allan has picked up on it and made it into a nice wee story, which worked fine until some wee Belgian smartarse came along and blew it out of the water with cold hard facts. :)

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant, 15 September 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#34 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

One way of finding out if there's any truth to it would be looking through the Greenock Telegraph archives to see if we had a game against St. Johnstone postponed during that time.

Do you like Abba?

#35 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:55 PM

One way of finding out if there's any truth to it would be looking through the Greenock Telegraph archives to see if we had a game against St. Johnstone postponed during that time.

..... and it was midweek with a Scottish Cup game scheduled on the Saturday.

Still calling bulls*** on this one. :)

#36 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

I had a quick glance at the fixture lists for the seasons where Totten was in charge and while this is definitely reaching, this could be it:

4n7zjUz.png

Notice the big gap between the league game at Thistle and the Cup game at Aberdeen. It's not inconceivable that this was it and he got Celtic mixed up with Aberdeen. Instead of playing St. Johnstone before the Cup game, we "moved" it to the midweek afterwards. This would also account for the big gap between the Thistle and the Aberdeen games.

Nonetheless I'm also starting to lean towards "he's misremembering" at this point as this is a significant reach.

Do you like Abba?

#37 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

Think about it, if there had been any truth in the rumour that Morton were deliberately getting games postponed for a competitive advantage, that would be a pretty serious offence and I'm sure the 'beeks' up at Park Circus would have been down on us like a ton of bricks. And there were lots of folk talking about it at the time, it wasn't exactly a 'secret'. 

And I'm also sure a local fire chief's coat would have been on a shoogly peg for using tax-payers money and resources to do it. 

Sorry, it's a cracking wee sorry and all that, but I'm pretty convinced it's bulls***.

#38 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

Yep, I think you're right. It's true that football was a lot more lax back then but this would have been too far.

Do you like Abba?

#39 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6661 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:42 PM

Yep, I think you're right. It's true that football was a lot more lax back then but this would have been too far.

Elgin City were stripped of the Highland League title around about that time for messing about with the fixture list to make suspended players available.

I can't imagine things like that would've gone unnoticed.

Show Grasses The Red Dot.

#40 TRVMP

TRVMP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21411 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

Elgin City were stripped of the Highland League title around about that time for messing about with the fixture list to make suspended players available.

I can't imagine things like that would've gone unnoticed.

That was the Highlands, they had nothing better to do.

Do you like Abba?

#41 Jamie_M

Jamie_M

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3177 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

If there is any truth in it, even this far on it's a silly thing to admit to.

Someone might call for an independent enquiry and put pressure for retrospective action.

The SFA could hammer us.... oh wait, i forgot, they are corrupt and spineless. Forget what i said, it's a cool story, keep telling it.

#42 Cet Homme Charmant

Cet Homme Charmant

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12059 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

If there is any truth in it, even this far on it's a silly thing to admit to.

Well yeah, indeed. A public admission that you deliberately got a game postponed for competitive advantage is not a very smart thing to do. 

Just as well then it's almost certainly made-up bollox. 

#43 axeman

axeman

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2167 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

There was a midweek game called off around 7.00 for a frozen pitch, possibly against St Johnstone, just before a cup game.
Can't remember who the cup opponents were going to be, but do remember a lot of fans turning up at Sinclair Street after 7 & hearing the news. As I recall we had some players doubtful with injuries before this.
That's probably what he was talking about.
I'd love to have you both for dinner

#44 port-ton

port-ton

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8551 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

That was absolutely excellent. Definitely worth the money to go see it for any Morton fan.

Well done to the writer and actors, who all did a fantastic job.
Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

Posted Image

#45 The Bewilderedbeast

The Bewilderedbeast

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5901 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

That was absolutely excellent. Definitely worth the money to go see it for any Morton fan.
Well done to the writer and actors, who all did a fantastic job.

Couldn't agree more, wife grudgingly went along so as not to waste the ticket, but came out raving about it.

φέρει στο Μίρεν st

#46 TONofmemories

TONofmemories

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4676 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

I'd 100% go and see it again

TIME FOR CHANGE!

#47 Deego

Deego

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16898 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

Good laugh.

#48 TheGoon

TheGoon

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3906 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:18 PM

Cracking, really enjoyed it. Decent wee exhibition upstairs too.

#49 cornbeef

cornbeef

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4627 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Think about it, if there had been any truth in the rumour that Morton were deliberately getting games postponed for a competitive advantage, that would be a pretty serious offence and I'm sure the 'beeks' up at Park Circus would have been down on us like a ton of bricks. And there were lots of folk talking about it at the time, it wasn't exactly a 'secret'. 

And I'm also sure a local fire chief's coat would have been on a shoogly peg for using tax-payers money and resources to do it. 

Sorry, it's a cracking wee sorry and all that, but I'm pretty convinced it's bulls***.

Jeez, you're a  top notch Investigative journalist in the making. This story could the break you need. Suggest you call it Watergate 2 :ph34r:

Actually I bet that there were many similar ruses over the years by clubs up and down the country.  I've no doubt that the said events occurred - although some of the details have been fogged over time.

Show Racism the Red Card

#50 LargsTON

LargsTON

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16551 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:20 PM

My Dad worked with Morton from the late 80s to mid-90s and I clearly remember him telling me McGraw had got the fire brigade in to flood the pitch. It wasn't a one off either.
"AT LEAST I'VE BEEN TO GRIMSBY"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users