#1952 TopCat

TopCat

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:25 PM

Happy Brian Wake Day, everyone :) .

What's a day that was. Can remember when Finlayson was lining that shot up: "Aw don't shoo-YYYAAAAAASSSS"

#1953 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6495 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

Ten years on, and after spending the whole season in the play off positions without threatening to actually win the league, former manager Jim McInally's Peterhead fail spectacularly at the first hurdle once we get down to the nitty gritty. Can't think where I've seen this story before.

Another play off failure for oor Jim, better hope there are no sectarian bigots that are losing their patience in the Peterhead support.

Fantastic :D .

#1954 Per Bartram

Per Bartram

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

Does anyone remember Albert Kidd's very brief Morton career. After his glory exit at Dens, 30 years ago, I think he spent a year at Falkirk, before signing on at Cappielow, for the Premier League return in 1987/88 season. I'm pretty sure he played against Arsenal in a pre season friendly before announcing his departure to Oz. Morton released him from his contract. I haven't checked out any of the details but I'm sure it was along those lines?

#1955 axeman

axeman

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2152 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:30 PM

Does anyone remember Albert Kidd's very brief Morton career. After his glory exit at Dens, 30 years ago, I think he spent a year at Falkirk, before signing on at Cappielow, for the Premier League return in 1987/88 season. I'm pretty sure he played against Arsenal in a pre season friendly before announcing his departure to Oz. Morton released him from his contract. I haven't checked out any of the details but I'm sure it was along those lines?

He played against Shrewsbury as well & I think a closed door game against Queens Park before heading to Oz.
I'd love to have you both for dinner

#1956 Dr Zhivago

Dr Zhivago

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:57 PM

Yes, remember seeing him playing against Arsenal (and if he was on against Shrewsbury, I saw that one too).  What an awful season that was.... Jim Boag top scorer? Gerry Ronald brought in to strengthen the squad...  :blink:

#1957 TRVMP

TRVMP

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20738 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:58 PM

At the time going to Australia was effectively chucking it, but fair play, between Adelaide and Greenock there's only going to be one winner.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

#1958 vikingTON

vikingTON

Award-winning fact-based analysis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16897 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 03:42 AM

Ten years on, and after spending the whole season in the play off positions without threatening to actually win the league, former manager Jim McInally's Peterhead fail spectacularly at the first hurdle once we get down to the nitty gritty. Can't think where I've seen this story before.

Another play off failure for oor Jim, better hope there are no sectarian bigots that are losing their patience in the Peterhead support.

Fantastic :D .

They've got plenty of racists though; he'll find a way to manufacture offence from that. 

Jim McInally. :lol:

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#1959 AyrshireTon

AyrshireTon

The Buzzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7959 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 10:16 PM

Yes, remember seeing him playing against Arsenal (and if he was on against Shrewsbury, I saw that one too).  What an awful season that was.... Jim Boag top scorer? Gerry Ronald brought in to strengthen the squad...  :blink:

And Roddy MacDonald brought in to shore up the defence.
100 conceded.

“McGhee needs some support, there’s no-one backing him up.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here’s Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control…”

“That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton’s supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.”

#1960 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6495 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

Hot on the heels of Jim McInally's hilarious failure in the play offs, Livingston manager and former Morton player and assistant manager "Hoppy" reels out some laughable excuses after his Livingston team, which Zhivago was creaming himself over the prospect of knocking Morton out the cup in January, are humbled by Stranraer.

Gutter  :) .

#1961 TRVMP

TRVMP

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20738 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 03:36 PM

Reid looks like a funeral director.

Hoppy's analysis seems fair enough but hindsight is always 20/20.

Still, never mind, as Scotland's answer to Warren Buffett he has an investment portfolio - one that puts The Emirates Group's holdings to shame - to fall back on.

Seriously though, imagine thinking this guy was ever going to manage Morton.

Do you like Abba?

#1962 joebananas

joebananas

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3089 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

Hot on the heels of Jim McInally's hilarious failure in the play offs, Livingston manager and former Morton player and assistant manager "Hoppy" reels out some laughable excuses after his Livingston team, which Zhivago was creaming himself over the prospect of knocking Morton out the cup in January, are humbled by Stranraer.

Gutter :) .

You're sounding more and more like VikingTON every day.

#1963 dunning1874

dunning1874

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7946 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:02 PM

Can we take a moment to appreciate Darren Cole's contribution to Livingston's impending relegation?

Truly devastated he didn't remain with us.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

#1964 TRVMP

TRVMP

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20738 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

David Robertson also played a supporting role by being utterly mung for them last season.

Do you like Abba?

#1965 cornbeef

cornbeef

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

You're sounding more and more like VikingTON every day.

Granted I miss quite a lot... but I don't really get the Hoppy hate that VT and Toby share.

#1966 Toby

Toby

People's Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6495 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

Granted I miss quite a lot... but I don't really get the Hoppy hate that VT and Toby share.

I don't hate Hoppy. I hate Zhivago.

#1967 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16897 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:27 PM

I can't stand snake employees at the club trying to worm their way into the dugout themselves with no credible justification (Grady/McManus) or undermining the managerial staff by being generally embittered, useless hangers-on from the club's old players' network (Collins). Draw a Venn diagram of those two blights on this once-proud football club and you'll find 'Hoppy' in the middle: sulking that the club wouldn't hand over the first team reins to a reserve coach with no credible experience, then bizarrely kept on to stink out the Shiels regime from within and leak stories to his mates.

And because of that, I take great delight in seeing his current plight. It couldn't really happen to a more deserving club or manager.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

#1968 cornbeef

cornbeef

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

:unsure:

I don't hate Hoppy. I hate Zhivago.

I'm sorry I asked now :unsure:

#1969 cornbeef

cornbeef

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

I can't stand snake employees at the club trying to worm their way into the dugout themselves with no credible justification (Grady/McManus) or undermining the managerial staff by being generally embittered, useless hangers-on from the club's old players' network (Collins). Draw a Venn diagram of those two blights on this once-proud football club and you'll find 'Hoppy' in the middle: sulking that the club wouldn't hand over the first team reins to a reserve coach with no credible experience, then bizarrely kept on to stink out the Shiels regime from within and leak stories to his mates.

And because of that, I take great delight in seeing his current plight. It couldn't really happen to a more deserving club or manager.

(I can't do a multi quote with this machine)... but I'm not sure your typically scathing response is an accurate depiction of Hoppy's involvement with the club. it was clear that he and Shiels rarely got within spitting range of each other when they were on the touchline. Maybe he was an unwanted present from Dougie - which Shiels didn't want to open. But Kenny hardly covered himself in glory with his inflexible approach to the game with a limited squad. Maybe if he had 'managed' Hoppy he could've got more out of him and the team at the same time. I don't really have any inside on this tbf

#1970 vikingTON

vikingTON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16897 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

That's a remarkable amount of buts and maybes and suppositions for someone who in the end admits to having "no inside track". Your (gormless, happyclapping) opinion isn't exactly held in high regards in this particular circle either so I think I'll be filing your revisionism in the bin. After all, I'm sure Shiels isn't losing sleep over having missed out on the lost 'talents' of a relegation-bound diddy.

Edited by vikingTON, 05 May 2016 - 10:33 PM.

#1971 stramash

stramash

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

Former Ton goalie Dennis Devlin passed away last month. Played a few games in the 60's before signing for Falkirk.

http://www.falkirkfc...vlin-1947-2016/

#1972 Eric M.

Eric M.

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

Former Ton goalie Dennis Devlin passed away last month. Played a few games in the 60's before signing for Falkirk.

http://www.falkirkfc...vlin-1947-2016/

I think Dennis played a couple of games in 1965/66 when Erik Sorensen was injured.

#1973 Per Bartram

Per Bartram

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:49 PM

He's a significant Morton shareholder and I fail to understand the reflex hate reaction towards a guy with Morton in his heart who is having a tough time with a failing club. Then again what else would one expect from the clown car poster in question.... Surely not more word salad?

#1974 Per Bartram

Per Bartram

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

[quote name="Eric M." post="1031990" timestamp="1462546465"]I think Dennis played a couple of games in 1965/66 when Erik Sorensen was injured.[/quote

3 games in 1965/66 and one the following year. If you have the Images of Sport book he is pictured on Page 44 , punching clear against Stirling Albion. Morton won 4-2 that day at Annfield Park, but it was a rare victory in a relegation season.

#1975 TRVMP

TRVMP

GMFC Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20738 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

He's a significant Morton shareholder and I fail to understand the reflex hate reaction towards a guy with Morton in his heart who is having a tough time with a failing club. Then again what else would one expect from the clown car poster in question.... Surely not more word salad?

If he's a Morton shareholder his position at Livingston sounds like a conflict of interest to me.

Do you like Abba?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users